• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[SGS3-R530M] Return to stock & reset your flash counter

Shabbypenguin

Extreme Android User
Mar 28, 2011

How to return your Samsung Galaxy S III (R530M) to stock

These instructions should fix your semi-bricked or broken phone as long as you can get it into download mode. Make sure you have drivers already installed on your Windows computer before starting. Please read them all the way through and then begin.

Things you will need to restore your phone are below.
Download and use this version of Odin 3.04:
ODIN

Tar files needed to flash are in post #3

Set up the software:
Extract the odin-pit.zip
Run Odin3 v3.04.exe
Make auto-reboot box is checked:

Put your phone in Download Mode:
Power your device off
Make sure the usb cable is not connected (it tends to mess up due to charging animation)
Press and hold volume down, home and power
You will see a warning screen
Press volume up to contine to download mode
Connect USB cable :)

Odin should now look like this:
B4zZo.png

Uncheck F. Reset Time
Click on PDA and load R530M-VQA-LJ1.tar

You should now look like this
xGNny.png

Now you should be able to click Start.

When you click start you should see something similar to this:
3llmM.png

Your phone should auto-reboot when finished and should be working 100%!

This returns you back to factory stock, aka Metro has no idea stock, except your download counter (if its been tripped)

Troubleshooting:

Odin isn't detecting the phone?!

Try a different USB port
Take out battery and plug phone into computer and put into download mode without the battery installed
Uninstall the drivers, reboot, and reinstall the drivers
It seems frozen and hasn't made any progress for 15 minutes

System.img.ext4 takes awhile but if it stays on that for longer than 15 minutes unplug the phone and remove the battery and start over

Heimdall Tutorial will go here when i find time to make heimdall 1.4 (the latest version that supports the US sgs3)

ok so for all you linux people here is a temp hold over http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=33074572 i can make heimdall 1.4 no issues but cant seem to make it into a easy install package and i cnat seem to make the frontend :/

Upvote 0
R530M (d2mtr)

All tars can be found at www.shabbypenguin.com

using these tars will wipe your entire device. the only way they will know you were rooted is via download counter.

How to reset the flash counter

use triangle away for flash counter resets, its the only thing that woprks anymore

Credits for flash counter reset:
airtioteclint
edgeez25
averagewonder
and a very special big thanks to billard412 for helping me learn this stuff.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones