• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Shabbycent and what it means for yall

Shabbypenguin

Extreme Android User
Mar 28, 2011
oh man guys, i am so sorry. Shabbycent - Imgur this is what i get for helping other phones. homeboy was a beta tester for shabbycent. took it "made" his own rom off it (has new apps installed!!! and a new bootanimation) claiming it all as his own work, so i got pissed and reported it on af, me and slug worked it out i said meh, w/e he wants to kang my stuff then he can be that awesome dev for that awesome phone (any precedent owners here reading this, sorry poorboy and pureevil screwed the hooch) so as a bit of lulz, i updated my rom to shabbycent 0.2 and linked to their download off their server. they contacted phases saying i was stealing their work and claiming it as my own XD

in fact from what i looked when i saw, they had an .exe that was my kms one click (aka shabbymod script/installer). all my build.prop tweaks were renamed to more awesomeness. my name was wiped frm the entire thing lol. i had figured with someone like my name linking to their stuff i tmight get a few more clicks eh? but apparently they didnt like that i was stealing their work enough to contact phases and try to get me banned...

so long story short, that will be the LAST of anything i do on that phone, shabbbybread is about 80% done (yay holidays! :rolleyes:)

14ujcj5.jpg

:)

Upvote 0
yea that is the only thing he gave me credit on, amazingly he managed to struggle out a quick thanks to hroark for cwm. which had to be hacked on with his super awesome dev skills

Hey Shabby, I registered with the forum just to say a few things. First of all I bought a Prevail a few months ago and after spending countless hours (literally) of reading and re-reading these threads I am amazed at the work you all have put into everything.
After spending at least 15 hours going through threads I finally felt comfortable enough to root my phone, a few more day I was ready for your .9 ROM which by the way was amazing. Then the dang gb came and ruined it.
Went ahead odined HOARKs EJ06 rooted CWM rfCache, CTmod which is VERY fast but I am gonna miss the theme you had laid out for Froyo.
Anyways I think what this guy did (not giving credit where its deserved) is completely ridiculous and I wish something could be done about it. I really just wanted you to know that there are people out the who see what you'll are doing and really appreciate the time and effort.
Sorry for the long message but I think the people who I have learned alot from: including but not limited to @hroark13, @Shabbypenguin, @Bloodawn, @Chin Checka, @Koumajutsu.
You guys are amazing, keep up the hard work. There are those of us that respect and appreciate it.
PS. Once I figure out how I will thank all you and donate.

Upvote 0
I’m sorry that someone ripped off your hard work. But this is the world we live in, which can be cruel at times. Shabbypenguin, if anything this should make you stronger. Don’t give up on your work. See if there is a way to avoid something like this situation in the future. Life is a challenge in everyway of the word. We bust our backs and find a way to move forward without walking a twisted line. Enough of that I guess. I don’t want to bore anyone with my words. I just wanted to say my piece and perhaps give you a bit of a lift.

Reactions: 76ford90lx
Upvote 0
I'm really new here, but some things in this post have me really confused. I do know a bit about the android phones, but not a whole lot on the programming side. I have a few friends that have done some programming, so I've learned a bit of the lingo. I've heard of the kms one click, but didn't a used named interdpth do the original programming for it? It looks like he had help from a few other users, great teamwork, then released the source code for anyone who wanted to expand on it. Why is his name not in the original post on this thread as the creator? Isn't that an example of someone "stealing" credit for work?

Another thing is, as my friends have told me, a beta tester only has access to the rom. They don't have access to the source code or any of the unique keys it takes to change it. Has the source code or unique keys for shabbycent been released or given to anyone? If not, how could they alter the code to make it their own?

The final queston I have is a big one. If you make a link that is the name of your rom with a revised verson number but link it to someone else's website, isn't that "stealing"? The people who clicked on the name of the rom believe they are going to the creator's website, not the website of someone completely different. I am putting a direct copy and paste here in quotations from the original post in case someone missed that part "so as a bit of lulz, i updated my rom to shabbycent 0.2 and linked to their download off their server.".

I understand the hard feelings that happen when another person's work is perceived as being stolen, but there are a lot of contradictions here that make me wonder what really happened.

Upvote 0
I'm really new here, but some things in this post have me really confused. I do know a bit about the android phones, but not a whole lot on the programming side. I have a few friends that have done some programming, so I've learned a bit of the lingo. I've heard of the kms one click, but didn't a used named interdpth do the original programming for it? It looks like he had help from a few other users, great teamwork, then released the source code for anyone who wanted to expand on it. Why is his name not in the original post on this thread as the creator? Isn't that an example of someone "stealing" credit for work?

Another thing is, as my friends have told me, a beta tester only has access to the rom. They don't have access to the source code or any of the unique keys it takes to change it. Has the source code or unique keys for shabbycent been released or given to anyone? If not, how could they alter the code to make it their own?

The final queston I have is a big one. If you make a link that is the name of your rom with a revised verson number but link it to someone else's website, isn't that "stealing"? The people who clicked on the name of the rom believe they are going to the creator's website, not the website of someone completely different. I am putting a direct copy and paste here in quotations from the original post in case someone missed that part "so as a bit of lulz, i updated my rom to shabbycent 0.2 and linked to their download off their server.".

I understand the hard feelings that happen when another person's work is perceived as being stolen, but there are a lot of contradictions here that make me wonder what really happened.

shabby always gives credit. This wouldn't be the thread where he is releasing it and stating all this.

i.e. look here: [ACS][ROM] ShabbyCent 0.1

Upvote 0
I also read that one Monster. If he always gives credit, why did he say that kms one click was his in this post? Also, why would someone who always gives credit post another person's work under the name of his rom? That still makes no sense to me. I'm not taking sides in any of this because I don't know the other person. I just don't understand why someone would gripe about their work being stolen then post someone else's rom under his name. That seems just as childish as the other person is being made out to be. Also, I don't understand how his work can be "stolen" if no one else has the source code or his unique keys? How is that possible?

Upvote 0
I also read that one Monster. If he always gives credit, why did he say that kms one click was his in this post? Also, why would someone who always gives credit post another person's work under the name of his rom? That still makes no sense to me. I'm not taking sides in any of this because I don't know the other person. I just don't understand why someone would gripe about their work being stolen then post someone else's rom under his name. That seems just as childish as the other person is being made out to be. Also, I don't understand how his work can be "stolen" if no one else has the source code or his unique keys? How is that possible?

So your not taking sides in any of this as you say but for some odd unknown reason you signed up today and created a profile just so you can come in this thread and make two posts, basically saying in a round about way that Shabby takes other people's stuff and does not give credit and that he pretty much does and has been doing what this other Guy did to him then you log off lol. Hmmmm pretty much seems like you have taken sides on this from the looks of it.

I cant remember how many times I have seen Shabby give credit to others and mention that without the work of many others that his work would not be possible.

Upvote 0
Who cares if I don't stay logged on. It seems like you are very blind to what is being said and that's fine. I know I wouldn't trust someone who puts the link to another person's rom download under his name. If you want to trust in all this, more power to you. I have better things to do than this. In my opinion, something shady is going on. If you don't like my opinion....tough! I'm outta here and will find a forum with real people discussing actual things instead of trying to get into one huge pissing contest.

Upvote 0
i dont know why anyone wants to follow shabby but anyway to make it clear there will be a download link posted in the precedent forums for the rom in question if you want to know the truth of the matter, download it and download shabbycent run the MD5 for yourselfs and you be the judge. i am tired of this BS. straight forward we gave shabby credit in the readme file for what we used... and stuff we used IS ALSO READILY POSTED ALL OVER XDA FORUMS so why does he CLAIM IT AS HIS! HMMMMMM

oh and stop bashing ppl you dont even know for speaking their minds what are you a bunch of sheep,

anyway the truth is in the file.. but then again you are all just a bunch of FOLLOWERS and wont check for yourselfs..

someone accually speaks there mind and all you can do is BASH on them are you really that Pathetic to have nothing better to do in you miserable little life than bash on people you know nothing about SEE BELOW AS TO THIS PASSAGE

So your not taking sides in any of this as you say but for some odd unknown reason you signed up today and created a profile just so you can come in this thread and make two posts, basically saying in a round about way that Shabby takes other people's stuff and does not give credit and that he pretty much does and has been doing what this other Guy did to him then you log off lol. Hmmmm pretty much seems like you have taken sides on this from the looks of it.

I cant remember how many times I have seen Shabby give credit to others and mention that without the work of many others that his work would not be possible.

SO again we come to the fact that Shabby wants to claim we stole his work, lets start with this he sends me a KERNEL CLAIMING TO BE REPACKED TO ENABLE ADB on startup, (RENAMED STOCK KERNEL) tarball WTF Did you think i wouldn't decompress the kernel and check to see if you were lieing about it or not. anyone with Linux and any kind of android kernel knowhow can do this. with just a few command lines (to uncompress the ramdisk is gunzip -c boot.img-ramdisk.cpio.gz | cpio -i ) inside it you will find the default.prop (THIS IS WHERE YOU ACCUALLY ENABLE ADB ON BOOT) not in the build.prop because for ADB on boot to work you also need to change ro.secure=1 to ro.secure=0 and i am sure Shabby has his keystore file so that we can see his key signature in the framework files or would u like me to post them.. david@aa51:~/Downloads/shabbycent/Test/Rom/Framework$ jarsigner -verify -verbose core.jar
jar is unsigned. (signatures missing or not parsable)

HMMMMMMMMM that doesn't make any sense any good DEV would SIGN his work

PoorBoy52760 said:
david@aa51:~/workarea/AreaRomv1.0b-release/Rom/Framework$ jarsigner -verify -verbose core.jar

3681 Sat Nov 26 12:11:36 CST 2011 META-INF/MANIFEST.MF
3802 Sat Nov 26 12:11:36 CST 2011 META-INF/AA51.SF
1318 Sat Nov 26 12:11:36 CST 2011 META-INF/AA51.RSA
0 Wed Aug 03 17:20:38 CDT 2011 META-INF/
sm 43 Wed Jul 07 17:50:14 CDT 2010 META-INF/services/java.util.prefs.PreferencesFactory
sm 961 Wed Jul 07 17:50:18 CDT 2010 org/apache/harmony/annotation/internal/nls/messages.properties
sm 3080 Wed Jul 07 17:50:20 CDT 2010 org/apache/harmony/archive/internal/nls/messages.properties
sm 3944 Wed Jul 07 17:50:14 CDT 2010 org/apache/harmony/auth/internal/nls/messages.properties
sm 3605 Wed Jul 07 17:50:20 CDT 2010 org/apache/harmony/crypto/internal/nls/messages.properties
sm 78 Wed Jul 07 17:50:22 CDT 2010 org/apache/harmony/dalvik/ddmc/README.txt
sm 2518 Wed Jul 07 17:50:08 CDT 2010 org/apache/harmony/logging/internal/nls/messages.properties
sm 3123 Wed Jul 07 17:50:08 CDT 2010 java/util/logging/logging.properties
sm 1070 Wed Jul 07 17:50:12 CDT 2010 org/apache/harmony/misc/internal/nls/messages.properties
sm 11922 Wed Jul 07 17:50:12 CDT 2010 org/apache/harmony/luni/util/ExternalMessages.properties
sm 1083 Wed Jul 07 17:50:12 CDT 2010 org/apache/harmony/luni/internal/net/www/types.properties
sm 1352 Wed Jul 07 17:50:12 CDT 2010 org/apache/harmony/luni/internal/nls/messages.properties
sm 1673 Wed Jul 07 17:50:14 CDT 2010 org/apache/harmony/math/internal/nls/messages.properties
sm 1261 Wed Jul 07 17:50:10 CDT 2010 org/apache/harmony/nio/internal/nls/messages.properties
sm 1771 Wed Jul 07 17:50:12 CDT 2010 org/apache/harmony/niochar/internal/nls/messages.properties
sm 1449 Wed Jul 07 17:50:14 CDT 2010 org/apache/harmony/prefs/internal/nls/messages.properties
sm 40299 Wed Jul 07 17:50:16 CDT 2010 org/bouncycastle/x509/CertPathReviewerMessages_de.properties
sm 40293 Wed Jul 07 17:50:16 CDT 2010 org/bouncycastle/x509/CertPathReviewerMessages.properties
sm 18842 Wed Jul 07 17:50:14 CDT 2010 org/apache/harmony/security/internal/nls/messages.properties
sm 4865 Wed Jul 07 17:50:14 CDT 2010 java/security/security.properties
sm 3222 Wed Jul 07 17:50:18 CDT 2010 org/apache/harmony/sql/internal/nls/messages.properties
sm 2046 Wed Jul 07 17:50:32 CDT 2010 org/apache/harmony/text/internal/nls/messages.properties
sm 819 Wed Jul 07 17:50:08 CDT 2010 org/apache/harmony/xnet/internal/nls/messages.properties
sm 1061 Wed Jul 07 17:50:22 CDT 2010 org/apache/xalan/res/XSLTInfo.properties
sm 4999 Wed Jul 07 17:50:26 CDT 2010 org/apache/xalan/Version.src
sm 4126 Wed Jul 07 17:50:22 CDT 2010 org/apache/xalan/processor/XSLProcessorVersion.src
sm 4353 Wed Jul 07 17:50:32 CDT 2010 org/apache/xml/serializer/HTMLEntities.properties
sm 1841 Wed Jul 07 17:50:32 CDT 2010 org/apache/xml/serializer/output_html.properties
sm 1818 Wed Jul 07 17:50:32 CDT 2010 org/apache/xml/serializer/output_xml.properties
sm 4720 Wed Jul 07 17:50:32 CDT 2010 org/apache/xml/serializer/Version.src
sm 1769 Wed Jul 07 17:50:32 CDT 2010 org/apache/xml/serializer/output_unknown.properties
sm 11338 Wed Jul 07 17:50:32 CDT 2010 org/apache/xml/serializer/Encodings.properties
sm 1525 Wed Jul 07 17:50:32 CDT 2010 org/apache/xml/serializer/output_text.properties
sm 1086 Wed Jul 07 17:50:32 CDT 2010 org/apache/xml/serializer/XMLEntities.properties
sm 4916900 Wed Nov 09 10:02:12 CST 2011 classes.dex

s = signature was verified
m = entry is listed in manifest

jar verified.

so now lets get down to brass tacks here. shall we stop whining and become a real dev. funny thing i just thought about back in July he didn't know jack about samsungs .ops and odin and all this and now he is a Master Developer. hmmmmmmmm oh and btw my keystore is on file with android.com and registered to Android Area 51... oh and heres the LINK to the rom if anyone with linux would like to run these same tests

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

I think i have Said my Peace.. I am tired of the BS like i stated. what really pissed me off is someone that doesn't know any of us starts asking questions and you gotta bash on them like they were your unwanted redheaded step child, that is crap... THIS PISSING CONTEST as they so Nicely Put it is Now OVER!

GROW UP.

Upvote 0
oh wow... lets clear up some stuff right out of the gate...

76ford90lx, poorboy does have a point man.. as far as you know droidbug is a new member and as such should be treated like one.. if its an alt account then that fact will come up when the mods look thru this thread.

droidbug the orginal one click script for kms was mine, interdpth modified killinginthenameof to killingmesoftly to work on yalls phones (amazingly enough it worked as KITNO was a 2.1 exploit) source for it has been posted a few times. roms arent made out of source code, the only phones capable of that are cyanogenmod and aosp. all other roms are made via dumps and editing/tweaking the files as much as you can. there are no "keys" or source code to shabby well anything. because any jackass that signs his rom with test keys.. is just that a ****ing idiot.... and no the one clicks arent open source, they are bash/batch scripts which means opening them in notepad lets you see everything...

@poorboy lol yea its not hard to change md5's when you edit things like build.prop, its not just myself ive given copies of shabbycent and your "rom" to a handful of other people.

SO again we come to the fact that Shabby wants to claim we stole his work, lets start with this he sends me a KERNEL CLAIMING TO BE REPACKED TO ENABLE ADB on startup, (RENAMED STOCK KERNEL) tarball WTF Did you think i wouldn't decompress the kernel and check to see if you were lieing about it or not. anyone with Linux and any kind of android kernel knowhow can do this. with just a few command lines (to uncompress the ramdisk is gunzip -c boot.img-ramdisk.cpio.gz | cpio -i ) inside it you will find the default.prop (THIS IS WHERE YOU ACCUALLY ENABLE ADB ON BOOT) not in the build.prop because for ADB on boot to work you also need to change ro.secure=1 to ro.secure=0

im not really sure i understand..? are you saying im lying about making 3-4 edits to default.prop and init.rc??? if so.. well props to you then man.. hows taht gingerbread kernel coming along? you ever find source off kernel.org that matchs the phone enough?

if you are making random grabs at kernel source you can grab a handful of mine of my githuib all freely there... #justsayin

david@aa51:~/Downloads/shabbycent/Test/Rom/Framework$ jarsigner -verify -verbose core.jar
jar is unsigned. (signatures missing or not parsable)

HMMMMMMMMM that doesn't make any sense any good DEV would SIGN his work

bleh i cant find it now but there is an article about why signing with test keys is bad because a malicious app can use those same test keys and pretend to be a system app...

just showing off that you signed crap doesnt mean shit. it means you took 3 extra seconds to press the right button in a script :O

you arer correct about not knowing about ops, and i am very greatful to hroark with helping me learn. 5 bucks says yoiu dont know how to set up a phone that has touchwiz on it tho? how to unpack the zimage? compile the source.. well lol you cant figure that out on a boot.img anyways.. or even where to look for the PIT

those arent tests, thats just showing you have in or about the same files.. why release what i already posted? why not give out the script that went with the exe that you used in teh compiler? you were bragging about being able to do that now in the irc about a week ago...

Upvote 0
I am not trying to pick sides here. All I know is that coming into the prevail thread and trying to expose Shabby as a fraud, is like running into a lions den with a steak tied around your neck. You see interdpth and shabby have teamed up to help us out alot, and what Shabby has done for us solo is amazing. So take your unfounded gripes back to your thread and we will continue admiring Shabbys work here. I am totally impartial on this though :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones