• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Shall I do the upgrade or not???

I bought my Samsung Galaxy Ace in the UK (I live in Canada though) and I downloaded Kies on to my computer from the Samsung UK website.
Now, when I connect my phone via USB cable on to my computer, Kies says that there's an update available for my phone:

PDA KPN / Phone KP6 / CSC KP1 XEU

Can someone please explain to me whether or not this is an upgrade to Gingerbread???

And, is it a good idea to have the UK Kies version installed, or should I have downloaded Kies from the Samsung Canada website instead. Having said that, this phone isn't available on the Canadian market, so, I'm not even sure if there will ever be an OS update available for this phone with a Canadian Kies version...

And does it make any difference at all if I install an OS version from another country, other than the one I live in?

Thanks for your help, but I'm a noobie and I'm trying to figure out what I need to do with this phone.

I heard that if you install wrong firmware (wrong country) you'll brick your phone. Don't know if it's true, but Kies has recovery option, could be helpful if something will go wrong after update.

PD: AFAIK, there are only one Kies version, I mean, 1 multilang install file, doesn't matter where you download it from.

Upvote 0
I heard that if you install wrong firmware (wrong country) you'll brick your phone. Don't know if it's true, but Kies has recovery option, could be helpful if something will go wrong after update.

PD: AFAIK, there are only one Kies version, I mean, 1 multilang install file, doesn't matter where you download it from.

So, what would be the "wrong" country? My phone was purchased in the UK but I'm in Canada? Do I need to update via Kies UK, or Kies Canada?

Upvote 0
hi, I'd get the uk kies just to be on the safe side if I were you. But I have upgraded to 2.3.3 through kies and so far have found my phone to be slower/laggy since the update and no real mega changes for it. Upto you at the end of the day but I wish I stuck with 2.2.1, maybe things will get worked out in a few months and they'll bring out 2.3.4.

Upvote 0
hi, I'd get the uk kies just to be on the safe side if I were you. But I have upgraded to 2.3.3 through kies and so far have found my phone to be slower/laggy since the update and no real mega changes for it. Upto you at the end of the day but I wish I stuck with 2.2.1, maybe things will get worked out in a few months and they'll bring out 2.3.4.

Thanks for the info!
The only reason I am thinking of wanna upgrade to 2.3.3 is to hopefully get rid of the SoD syndrome that my phone suffers from... :( I read in this forum here that some people successfully managed to get rid of that issue through an upgrade. Are you experiencing this problem with the GB update on your phone?
I also wonder if there's a way to go back to 2.2.1 after the update.... But that's a whole new other issue.

Upvote 0
Not sure I'm afraid as I haven't suffered with that problem before or after the upgrade. Phone definatley seems slower with 2.3.3 but thats the only difference I have noticed. I think but I'm not sure that the only way to go back to 2.2.1 after is to flash your phone with odin and firmware from samfirmware.com. This is what I am considering, either that or a custom rom.

hope that sort of helps.

Reactions: travelbee
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones