• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Shapewriter...ROCKS!

Redownloaded Swype last night and got it running correctly without anymore "wrong resolution" errors. Used Apps Installer from the market to get it installed. Maybe I haven't used it enough, but I think I like ShapeWriter better. ShapeWriter just seems more polished. Maybe its the interface or maybe I just used it more and got used to it, not sure.

I like ShapeWriter better too. The pop-up window with Swype is extremely annoying. I like the words just being there.

Upvote 0
The only thing that I would like to see in Shapewriter is an auto-period after two spaces.

Double-tapping space puts a period and a space for me in ShapeWriter.

I'm enjoying ShapeWriter, but I wish after I spelled a word and it was wrong, that when I hit backspace, it would just delete the word and not the word PLUS the space. Basically every time I have to retype a word, I have to first tap space because the deletion took it out.

Upvote 0
That worked, thanks... prefer regular input though.

Yeah, I tried ShapeWriter. The concept is interesting, but here is the problem I have. I'm not much of a typist, so I don't know where all the keys are without actually looking at the keyboard. When using ShapeWriter (and I assume it would be the same if I tried Swype), my hand blocks my view of parts of the keyboard. This makes it difficult to get the correct pattern. If it wasn't for that, I'm sure I would use it (any tips or tricks are welcome).

Upvote 0
Try SlideIt. Its way more accurate than swype and shapewriter.
Do you use the demo or did you buy the full version?

I find that after a brief learning curve period, both Swype and Shapewriter work well for me. I like certain aspects of each prog better. Swype's keys are a little larger and therefore a little more accurate (for me). Shapewriter says you can ignore double letters, but I've had better luck using Swype's looping technique. I like Swype's up and back method to capitalize better than having to go back and hit a 3 way toggle. I like Shapwriter's single backspace to erase a bad hit, while multiple backspaces too rapidly will FC Swype. I can't find Shapewriter's underscore key (_), has anyone found it? For me, they end up in a tie, and I prefer either to the stock keyboard.

I'm curious to try SlideIT now, this thread being the first I've heard of it. Many thanks to the OP.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones