• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sharing contacts to dropbox

Andynz

Lurker
May 3, 2021
On my old phone (J3), I could select all my contacts and share to dropbox. They would be stored in my /personal/contacts/ folder as individual ,vcf files.
If I follow the same procedure on my new phone (A12), selecting all contacts, folder /personal/contacts/ includes just one file named contacts.vcf. This file includes only one contact.
If I do not select all, but just select a few individual contacts, the contacts.vcf file only includes details of the first selected contact.
Conclusion. However many contacts I select, only one is copied to dropbox in a file named contacts.vcf.

I am running Android 10 on a Samsung A12 phone.
Andy

Instead of manually copying the Contacts database file (or attempting to), just use the default Contacts app to export your contacts listing to a file, and then copy that file into the designated Dropbox folder to get backed up.
If you already have your Contacts synced to your Google account through your Gmail, that should always be auto-syncing your phone's contacts list with your online Google account contacts list, so you always have access to your contacts on either your phone or a computer/laptop. If you want to have another backup, you can also go to https://contacts.google.com and export your contacts list from there to a file, then copy that file into your Dropbox account.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
Thanks for the suggestion. I exported all contacts to contacts.vcf on my phone and, if I open the file, all the contacts are listed. I then copied the file to both my desktop and Dropbox. In both cases, if I open this file, details of the first contact are displayed. If I press cancel, the next contact is displayed - and so on. I do not get the full list of contacts.
Just wish I could share to dropbox as individual vcf files, so will probably leave things as they are for now.
Thanks again,
Andy

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones