• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Shattered EVO Screen....Da**it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxPower

Jan 19, 2010
NYC
Despite all the problems after the froyo update. (Slacker, Wifi, Battery, etc.)

My screen shattered in my back pocket today. And I mean SHATTERED.

It's SHARP and unusable.

Now what should I do???

Ironically, my screen had the original "lifting off the body" issue. And I was planning on getting it replaced eventually due to the defect but was waiting for the phone to be readily available.

I don't have insurance....Any ideas???

I love that these communities exist for these very reasons. Thank You Android Forums.

Dozens of screens for sale on ebay!
htc evo screen items - Get great deals on Cell Phones PDAs items on eBay.com!

Edit, that link didn't hold...Search "htc evo screen" on ebay, then narrow it by "lcd screens" and it'll bring up a nice amount of replacements. From $75-$150 range.

Reactions: nahpungnome
Upvote 0
You'll still be paying $100 for when you get a new one off insurance, but yes, I would say get insurance, wait a week and a few days, then just tell them you sat down on it in your back pocket. $100 deductible paid, a new phone in-hand, and you've got no more repertoires for a while. I could give you one of my old Nextel i850's until you're able to file the insurance claim and get your newer phone. The two I got are still perfectly fine, and at a whopping price of $0.00, they're hard to come by! Lol.

Reactions: MaxPower
Upvote 0
You might want to save your money and consider a Samsung Galaxy S Phone that uses Gorilla Glass, its less likely to shatter and scratch.

The Samsung Galaxy S Epic 4G will have:
Faster CPU
Faster GPU
Super Amoled Screen
Gorilla Glass
Even though its 5megapixels, the cam outpeforms Evo 8 megapixel
Light Weight
Thin even with a keyboard

Many more reasons listed here:

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/143351-why-buy-over-vibrant-2.html

Reactions: MaxPower
Upvote 0
Why the hell would someone put their phone on their back pocket? And if there were previous problems, why wouldn't you take it back immediately specially if you don't have insurance.

Lol, I can't even count how many times my ex-wife dropped her cell in the toilet.. I think a good 50% of women carry their phone in their back pocket if they don't have their purse on them.

*note* I am NOT calling the OP a woman. :D;)

Upvote 0
LOL. I hear that.

My lady friends are always dropping their phones in toilets. I've never done that. But I've carried my phone in my back pocket (Instinct, Hero) for years with no problems.

And for the record....I am a male.

When some (even a little) research is telling me not to put a phone up next to my brain, then I am definitely not putting it up against my "boys" all day long. :eek:

Upvote 0
DCap, this thread is clearly not for you....So please don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out.

I've carried my phones in my back pocket for a decade...so I don't radiate my BALLS!!

Consider it a warning!!

You realize that the amount of radiation hitting your balls is practically the same whether you put the phone in your front pocket vs. your back pocket?

Both positions are about the same distance to your balls, and the signal goes through roughly the same amount of your meat.

Maybe you'd be better off wearing lead underwear? :)

Upvote 0
Despite all the problems after the froyo update. (Slacker, Wifi, Battery, etc.)

My screen shattered in my back pocket today. And I mean SHATTERED.

It's SHARP and unusable.

Now what should I do???

Ironically, my screen had the original "lifting off the body" issue. And I was planning on getting it replaced eventually due to the defect but was waiting for the phone to be readily available.

I don't have insurance....Any ideas???

I love that these communities exist for these very reasons. Thank You Android Forums.

If you want a new phone, then go buy one...that's what you should do.

Upvote 0
i've been carrying mine in my back pocket for 2 months now..... just remember to remove before you sit... works good i think i have it set in my mind now.... phone out of pocket then sit

if i have cargo pants on i'll put it in a lower side pocket
i carry too much stuff in my front pockets that could scratch my phone up to carry it there

Upvote 0
believe it or not I had the same problem!!! Mine fell from my hand and I had the insurance, only problem was by doing so it would have been my 3rd sprint replacement phone in less than a year and therefore would get an automatic one year ban.... I called EVERY sprint store within a 50 mile radius and found one who had a defective evo that they were mailing back so they swapped the screens out for me and I did not have to use my warranty.

Upvote 0
As a woman who works in an office exclusively with other women I've never once seen any of them put a phone in their back pocket. I've seen them put it in their bra, in their purse and side pocket, but never in their back pocket.

I would think common sense would tell you not to put it in your back pocket due to the fact that it would be so easy to forget it's there and sit down, but it sucks that it happened. You should suck it up and buy another phone or replace the glass, not scam the insurance.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones