• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Shattered screen on my rooted Incredible

ALL insurance has a deductible. Be it health, car, home, rental, etc.

Insurance is $6.99 a month. That's $88.83 a year. Deductible is $85 on smartphones. So if you break your phone at month 12, your total insurance cost is $168.99.

That's still WAY cheaper than the total cost to replace the phone at $500+.

On top of that, the $88.83 a year is worth it for peice of mind. At least for me. As careful as you think you are, shit happens. Just like the OP found out.

It's true that insurance always has a deductible and theres good reasons for that. It makes you bear some of the costs of replacing it if it breaks and will therefore make you more careful not to break it. If you didn't have to pay any of the cost to have it replaced, you would likely not be as careful. With that said I don't have insurance on my phone because I think its a bit expensive. 7 bucks a month amounts to 168 dollars in premiums over 2 years, then if you break it add on another 85 dollars. That brings you to 253 dollars which is almost half the price of a brand new phone. For me that's not worth it, others may think it's a good deal.

Upvote 0
In a straight cost-benefit analysis, insurance NEVER comes out in your favor (excepting Health insurance). It can't, otherwise the insurance company could never make money. Not to say it never makes sense to buy insurance; it's important to have liability insurance on your car because it's possible for catastrophic damages far in excess of the average cost of insurance, or homeowners insurance because costs from damage could be far more than you'd be able to pay suddenly.

However, for a fixed cost item (you'd never be liable for more than the cost of the phone) that costs around what you'd pay for the insurance (about half the cost of the phone) it doesn't make sense. If if makes you feel better get it, or else just stick the extra $5-10 a month into the bank to save up for the next phone (or pay for a replacement).

Upvote 0
It's true that insurance always has a deductible and theres good reasons for that. It makes you bear some of the costs of replacing it if it breaks and will therefore make you more careful not to break it. If you didn't have to pay any of the cost to have it replaced, you would likely not be as careful. With that said I don't have insurance on my phone because I think its a bit expensive. 7 bucks a month amounts to 168 dollars in premiums over 2 years, then if you break it add on another 85 dollars. That brings you to 253 dollars which is almost half the price of a brand new phone. For me that's not worth it, others may think it's a good deal.

The problem with this logic is you don't have to pay for 2 full years before you can use it ;)

Bear with me hear as I bring something interesting to the table. The Verizon Asurion coverage is $6 a month. If you drop the device and shatter the screen (lots of people doing this) or have it stolen or dropped in the toilet etc after only 30 days its going to be devastating. After 60 days, crushing. After 90 days, heartbreaking. After 120 days, pretty upsetting.... after 730 days, mehhh no biggie.

Follow my drift? I would urge everybody toting around one of these $530 devices to pick up the insurance for the first 6 months. Thats only $36 for peace of mind until your baby turns 180 days old. If you haven't used the Insurance by then, by all means drop it.

It honestly saddens me to see post like the OP because I have done it myself. Thats right several years ago I had a brand spanking new PPC XV6600 Verizon PocketPC ($549 on a 2 year contract) and dropped it and shattered the screen within 2 hours! No insurance, completely SOL. It wont happen again.

If you wont do that then at least get it for the first 3 months. Thats only $18 and you never know, you might actually thank me for it someday :p

Upvote 0
I was under the impression the insurance was part of your contract, and therefore if your on a 2 year plan, your have to pay for 24 months regardless... are you able to drop it at a later date?

You only have 30 days from activation to add it but it can be dropped at any time.

NOTE If you purchased your device from Wirefly, LetsTalk or any other 3rd party retailer they may require you to maintain any features/services for 181 days. But as far as Verizon is concerned you can drop it at any time.

Upvote 0
It honestly saddens me to see post like the OP because I have done it myself. Thats right several years ago I had a brand spanking new PPC XV6600 Verizon PocketPC ($549 on a 2 year contract) and dropped it and shattered the screen within 2 hours! No insurance, completely SOL. It wont happen again.

:p

Hate to say this, but when I pictured this, I started cracking up.

I had that phone, racked up hundreds of dollars in data. Thats when you could activate a data phone without a data plan. Glad they fixed that glitch. Sorry for off topic.

Upvote 0
Hate to say this, but when I pictured this, I started cracking up.

I had that phone, racked up hundreds of dollars in data. Thats when you could activate a data phone without a data plan. Glad they fixed that glitch. Sorry for off topic.

Exact same thing happened to me. Stupid resistive touch screen used to get turned on in my pocket or holster and surf all kinds of sites without me knowing for hours at a time. Had to just flat out delete the #777 data connection so it couldn't anymore :cool:

To the OP, I still think eleazar's suggestion is the best option for you,

http://androidforums.com/htc-incred...ooted-incredible-post1098189.html#post1098189

Upvote 0
Exact same thing happened to me. Stupid resistive touch screen used to get turned on in my pocket or holster and surf all kinds of sites without me knowing for hours at a time. Had to just flat out delete the #777 data connection so it couldn't anymore :cool:

To the OP, I still think eleazar's suggestion is the best option for you,

http://androidforums.com/htc-incred...ooted-incredible-post1098189.html#post1098189

Yup my girlfriend just called me and same thing happened to her. I havent been able to talk to the HTC Repair department till Monday though. I am glad its only about $109. Eleazar when you said total is that include shipping cause I know you pay for your own shipping or is $109 just parts and labor. I am glad that the HTC offers this service I mean if I had insurance it would be $6 x 2 months + 85 deductible = $97 bucks so 109 is not that bad. The turn around sucks but still I guess now i can breath a little easier

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones