• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Shift $99 at Best Buy

Best Buy is sneaky. LOL I have been checking BB, wirefly, radio shack, sprint.com, amazon wireless, etc regularly on pricing, specifically upgrade pricing. When checking BB today, I stumbled upon the $99 deal also. After seeing Sprint's disappointing announcement of the echo, I went ahead and finally purchased the Shift for $99 with in-store pick up. I was due for an upgrade back in early december and glad I waited.

I lucked out on the Hero when it first came out too. I got it on cyber monday via BB for $69. Now I can finally free myself from it LOL

Upvote 0
I just dropped in Best Buy and the Shift was set to 99.00 down from like 149.00!
So I grabbed one for my daughter and myself, her upgrading from a Lotus and me from my hated Moment.
So far it looks and feels pretty good. The keyboard slider is very stiff though.
Also I can't find a way to make the touch or buttons less sensitive?

I dragged the ugly clock/weather widget off my home screen definetly need a nicer one,unfortunately best buy wouldn't transfer my photos from my moment and am wondering if I can copy them over from my pc or just swap memory sim.

Also if I want to load some MP3s on the phone and set them as ringtones, do I need to create a folder or anything like I did on the moment?

Upvote 0
You can put your Moment SD card in the Shift, but I'd save that as a last resort, as there are HTC hidden folders on the Shift, and you may like those HTC features, as installed.

You can xfer your photos to it from your PC, no problem.

You can create the same /media/ringtones folder as you did before - that's standard Android.

Welcome to the club!

Upvote 0
You can put your Moment SD card in the Shift, but I'd save that as a last resort, as there are HTC hidden folders on the Shift, and you may like those HTC features, as installed.

You can create the same /media/ringtones folder as you did before - that's standard Android.

Welcome to the club!

Would i be running into any problems if i were to take my evo shifts sd card and thru it into a new epic?

Upvote 0

Welcome to the club!

What is hidden on the pre-installed memory card?

Upvote 0
Would i be running into any problems if i were to take my evo shifts sd card and thru it into a new epic?

Depends on your intentions.

The Moment was one thing - that's vanilla Android.

If you're wanting to just play with files already on the card on the Epic - would probably work.

If you're wanting to run everything normally - maybe dbpaddler would know - if TouchWiz is requiring any special folders to work - or - if they have any Linux-extended filesystems pre-installed on the Epic, it'll be sadness for sure unless you use the phone's built-in format tool to wipe and re-do the layout on the SD card.

Please tell me you're not swapping the 16 GB for the 2 GB between the two to sell the Epic - at least tell the buyer what he's getting. ;) ;)

What is hidden on the pre-installed memory card?

I don't want to give the impression of hidden as in top-secret or anything - just hidden folders (names preceded with a dot). This is a _very_ common practice on unix-based systems.

These sorts of folders seem to have some handy stuff in them and are used by HTC Footprints, Bookmarks, HTC News, the HTC Mail app - that sort of thing.

Upvote 0

If you're wanting to just play with files already on the card on the Epic - would probably work.

If you're wanting to run everything normally - maybe dbpaddler would know - if TouchWiz is requiring any special folders to work - or - if they have any Linux-extended filesystems pre-installed on the Epic, it'll be sadness for sure unless you use the phone's built-in format tool to wipe and re-do the layout on the SD card.

Please tell me you're not swapping the 16 GB for the 2 GB between the two to sell the Epic - at least tell the buyer what he's getting. ;) ;)

I don't want to give the impression of hidden as in top-secret or anything - just hidden folders (names preceded with a dot). This is a _very_ common practice on unix-based systems.

These sorts of folders seem to have some handy stuff in them and are used by HTC Footprints, Bookmarks, HTC News, the HTC Mail app - that sort of thing.

Oh yea deff, i knew about those, haha i was thinking you ment some special special stuff haha

Upvote 0

HAHA no i am not. Long story. Before i gave my epic to my fiance i wiped the sd card and transferred all the shifts files onto it. used it in the shift, then shift keyboard broke took it back to best buy, they didn't have any new shifts (Were all out, so i opted to get a epic again and exchange for the shift when they get more in) so with the new epic, i took the 16gb that came with it out and threw the one that was in the shift, but i forgot to save all the epics files off the original card and transfer onto the one that was in the shift... long story!!! confusing sorry!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones