• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

shift and sym keys to volume control

Tempusfugit

Android Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2010
I was thinking about this the other day...

If I hold my EVO portrait, my left index and third finger are on the volume controls while typing. If I hold my EVO landscape, my left index finger is resting on volUP but could easily hit volDOWN.

Is there an app or keyboard, that anytime the keyboard is up, disable volume keys for volume control, and uses volume up as a shift toggle, and vol down as a symbol toggle? Options for having it tap to toggle, or hold the volume button, press the key, release volume button, would both be cool.

I think its possible, and it would make me type 3-4 times as fast with easy switching between keyboard screens. I also never need to change volume when the keyboard is out. I know terminal emulator special keys like | are voldown+5 so the link between volume buttons and keyboard is already there..

Stuff like alphanumeric passwords and paths are suck to type right now.

If there's nothing like this someone get on it :p

I was thinking about this the other day...

If I hold my EVO portrait, my left index and third finger are on the volume controls while typing. If I hold my EVO landscape, my left index finger is resting on volUP but could easily hit volDOWN.

Is there an app or keyboard, that anytime the keyboard is up, disable volume keys for volume control, and uses volume up as a shift toggle, and vol down as a symbol toggle? Options for having it tap to toggle, or hold the volume button, press the key, release volume button, would both be cool.

I think its possible, and it would make me type 3-4 times as fast with easy switching between keyboard screens. I also never need to change volume when the keyboard is out. I know terminal emulator special keys like | are voldown+5 so the link between volume buttons and keyboard is already there..

Stuff like alphanumeric passwords and paths are suck to type right now.

If there's nothing like this someone get on it :p

Not at the moment that I know of. This would require having your phone rooted though, since it would be changing the factory assignment of the buttons. Last time I checked it was difficult enough as it was just to reassign the search key to something else, but that has been accomplished with root recently.

No idea how long it would take to develp an app or setting like this, or if it is even in development. Your best resource for this sort of stuff is the XDA forums.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones