• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Shock case that doesn't ruin leather back

LG_G4_09

Lurker
Oct 21, 2015
I recently purchased a leather back LG G4. Only got the leather back because it was the only one they offered. Love the feel of the leather, but concerned about drops. hate to cover it, but have dropped phones once or twice in the past. Also, with the cut your rate deal at Sprint, had to lease the phone, so want to keep it nice. I may decide to "go naked" but would like the option of having a case. Reading lots of reviews and suggestions on cases that "fit" the leather backs, but my question is I want a case that won't ruin the leather going on or taking it off, so what to get.

I'm not into the clear bumpers, hate the feel and don't care to "show off the leather" underneath, and it's really only the feel of the leather I like.

I'm debating about the following and am looking for input/suggestions.
a. pouch cases (i.e., protecting when in transit, but naked when in use). I have a screen protector on it.
b. bumper case Caseology wavelength, suggest other that won't ruin the leather underneath
c. quick circle replacement back. But I don't think these help with drops, suggest if otherwise.
d. others?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I recently purchased this leather pouch on Amazon. I quite like it and it even fits the G4 with a thin case, for example the Diztronic TPU case.

http://amzn.to/1MEDdPq

Attachments

• 61WnDDw4r8L._SL1000_.jpg
    61WnDDw4r8L._SL1000_.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 63
Upvote 0
I must have tried 20 different cases for my G4, including the Wavelength case you mentioned. thought it would be more protective and more grippy with the pattern on the back. But it was a harder plastic rather than rubber and much less protection than I was looking for.

I don't know if it's in the style that you're considering but I ended up with the Ballistic Tough Jacket Maxx. There are several things I really like about it. Great protection, easy to hold with the corner bumpers as it doesn't easily slide out of the hand, nice amount of protection on the screen from damage when set face down. No built in screen protector. It comes with a plastic screen protector but I had already opted for ballistic glass and prefer that. I has tried several cases with built-in screen protectors but found them quite poor due to the slight curve of the screen. The protector wouldn't hug the screen and touch sensitivity was reduced as was screen clarity. I also really love the camera protection. So many other cars leave a huge cutout of the entire camera/flash/sensor area and I want loving that. I wanted more protection and this case has immaculate cutouts around the camera, flash, sensor, keeping it all safe. The silicone skin and plastic cover give enough protection that the camera doesn't touch the surface if set on its back. The silicone skin covers the buttons as well, which I ended up really liking (and actually wanting for the extra protection) but it did take a short while to get accustomed to the different tactile feel of the covered buttons.

In terms of you looking for an option that wouldn't damage the leather back, the Ballistic case is great. It uses a side silicone skin with the bumpers built in add the first layer with a hard plastic shell that clamps on over it. I can't imagine it damaging the leather back add one only thing touching it would be the soft silicone layer.

https://www.goballisticcase.com/shop/lg/lg-g4/tough-jacket-maxx/#.VkgwgUROnqA

There's a link to the case. I paid a little over half the listed price with free shipping from Amazon. No affiliation with the company but I don't see a lot written about it and I have loved mine. In fact, my husband liked it so well he got one for his phone.

Good luck with your search. Hope this is helpful.

Upvote 0
I just switched from a Droid Turbo 2 to the LG G4 in black leather and went with a generic TPU bumper case. It's a little slippery on my desk, but not in the hand, and it won't protect the camera or buttons in a drop, but it fits on super tight (good thing) and offers all-edge protection while still letting you feel the leather. It doesn't leave a ring in the leather like the metal bumper does.

I got my bumper at Amazon for $7, but you can find it on eBay for $4. I just wanted it before my phone arrived.

6161jakZUXL._SL300_.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones