• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Shopping App

Briarius

Lurker
Aug 13, 2012
This has probably been addressed over and over, but I can't find exactly what I am looking for.

I want an app that tells you the prices of an item in your local area. Now, I know most shopping apps do this, but I want specifically grocery items. I want to be able to type in Diet <cola brand> and it tell me where it's on sale locally.

Does something like this exist?

This has probably been addressed over and over, but I can't find exactly what I am looking for.

I want an app that tells you the prices of an item in your local area. Now, I know most shopping apps do this, but I want specifically grocery items. I want to be able to type in Diet <cola brand> and it tell me where it's on sale locally.

Does something like this exist?

Probably not. Whilst there are some sites that do something like this but usually you have to pay for them. Having worked for a grocery chain before I do know they like to keep things close to their chest and do not like to share the data. We used to use one site that used folk to enter the data in but that involved typing it in manually. In addition prices change quite often - sometimes several times in a week. Add to that the stores are now looking into customized pricing (where you'll get a discount at the checkout if you qualify) and you're going to be chasing your tail on this. Store managers have a reasonable amount of discretion when pricing, which is why you'll often pay different prices for the same item at different locations for the same store.

Best thing I can suggest is the old fashioned method of checking the Sunday papers for weekly deals and plan accordingly. That's what we do.

There are a few apps that say they support this, but invariably its only for a limited number of stores.

You may get some rough approximations or details on coupons but I feel nothing to the degree you are looking for. Coupon matching websites might help as well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones