• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

short on memory?

mkwine

Lurker
Sep 9, 2010
Okay, So I've had my phone (Droid1) for about 8 or 9 months and I love it. I just recently updated the phone to the 2.2 myself. I wasn't sent it like the rest of the phones. One problem I've ran into is memory. Everyday it says that I'm sort on memory, but I don't have a lot of applications. I have maybe... 8. I've deleted most of them because it says I need room. My question is.. what can I do to get memory back? does rooting help with memory? Should I restart my whole phone, if so, how do i do that? Thank you all.

Matthew.

get a cache cleaner
delete music
delete txt messages
delete photos
delete backup files that something like MyBackup Pro makes if you schedule backups

clearly, if you only have like 8 apps that you downloaded, there is more to this story. I have 100 or so and have nearly 10x the memory you have.

BTW, when I say "delete" I often copy the movable items above to my computer then delete them off the phone

also, something like Astro can show you the actual files on your SD card and see them in terms of size and look at what files/directories are bloated

Upvote 0
-attach a USB cable
-when phone tells you USB is connected then go ahead and mount it
-drag them off your phone (in whatever directory you have them saved to - most likely sdcard/DCIM/camera) and drop them onto your computer and save them. But your messaging app and other apps can also save images elsewhere.
-delete the ones off your phone you want to make room (could do this part through the Gallery as well)
-unmount the phone

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones