• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Short WPA-PSK Wifi Password

Hi there,

I just installed MIUI_Au 1.5.6 R1 (not sure if this issue is restricted to this rom or if it is part of Android, haven't had a chance to test any other roms) on my HTC Desire and love how it is looking! I have one major problem with it though and that is I cannot connect to my wifi network. The password for my wifi is under the 8 character minimum acceptance length. I have no way of changing this password (I'm in corporate housing, hence I don't have access to the router).

To sum up what happens:
- Enter wifi settings
- Pick the wireless network I want to connect to
- Tap in the box to bring up keyboard
- Punch in password
- Try to tap "Connect" but it is greyed out
- Enter extra characters until 8 character length is reached
- "Connect" button becomes active, but trying to connect obviously fails since it is an incorrect password

Note that I have successfully connected to this network with my laptop (Macbook running OS 10.6.7).

How can I connect to my wifi network (only network around that I have access to) with such a short password or am I just stuck?

The security type on the network is WPA/WPA2 PSK.

Thanks ahead for any help or responses!

Colin

Well, fair enough on Android's part. I'm working for a tech firm and the housing is contracted out. You'd think they would want extra security and to follow the standard but apparently not.

Thanks so much for the reply! :D

I guess my only question then would be if I can share my Macbook's internet over wifi/USB to my phone? I've been looking into it, but from what I can tell, wifi is single direction, either you are accepting a networking or creating an ad-hoc one. Can't take the internet and re-broadcast it. As for USB, it just doesn't even seem supported. Everything is designed to share the phone's internet with the laptop, not the other way around :p

Upvote 0
Well, fair enough on Android's part. I'm working for a tech firm and the housing is contracted out. You'd think they would want extra security and to follow the standard but apparently not.

Thanks so much for the reply! :D

I guess my only question then would be if I can share my Macbook's internet over wifi/USB to my phone? I've been looking into it, but from what I can tell, wifi is single direction, either you are accepting a networking or creating an ad-hoc one. Can't take the internet and re-broadcast it. As for USB, it just doesn't even seem supported. Everything is designed to share the phone's internet with the laptop, not the other way around :p

I've looked for ways to reverse tether over USB. It doesn't seem possible.

There is software for Windows that will allow your laptop to become a wifi access point. Might have the same thing for Mac?

Reactions: bobob101
Upvote 0
The only way to have the Mac act as a wireless hotspot is if you have internet connected via a LAN cord. If you are connected to the internet over wifi, then you can't share the internet via wifi which is the situation I'm in now.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions! :)

I'm thinking I'm just going to live with it as it is. The big reason I wanted to connect was that I have a limited data plan (100Mb/month) for my phone so I was thinking at least when I'm at home I could conserve data. That's fine though, I will just be extra cautious about my data usage :)

Thanks again amlothi!

Colin

Upvote 0
Actually, I think it depends on the Wifi card you have. I know that, for example, my phone cannot be connected to Wifi and also be a hotspot at the same time. However, some wireless cards in full fledged computers can.

Here is the software I have heard of for Windows. I can't say I've used it myself though. Note that the website specifically says you can use your laptop as a repeater to extend the range of a wifi connection - so no cable connection appears to be necessary if your hardware can support it.

Connectify for Windows - Turn your Laptop or Smartphone into a Secure Wi-Fi Hotspot

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones