1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Shortcut for Documents

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by photonanax3, Dec 21, 2011.

1. photonanax3

photonanax3 Newbie

I have copied a bunch of PDF maps to my nook and right now go through file manager to open them. Is there a way to place these on the screen, similar to shortcuts or apps, and then open the documents?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. colchiro

colchiro Extreme Android User

Have you rooted? You could always install a custom launcher like Go Launcher, Launcher Ex, Launcher Pro, etc.

As far as adding a shortcut to the stock B&N (unrooted) rom, I wouldn't be able to help you with that.

If you long-press on the desktop, do you get a menu?

3. photonanax3

photonanax3 Newbie

I'm running CM7 off an SD card. I do get a menu when long-press and have checked out those options, but don't see one for adding a shortcut for documents, but I will check out the apps you suggested. Thank you!

4. bobstro

bobstro Well-Known Member

I'm running CM off of SD, and using ADW EXCHANGE (edit: ADWLauncher EX) or as my launcher. I can long press on the Desktop and select Shortcuts. From that menu, I can select File Manager and select any file. A shortcut is created on my desktop showing the default app associated with the file type. When selected, it opens a menu of associated apps, from which I can set one as default. I just tested with a PDF, and it works fine.

I can also create an Aldiko shortcut, which will show a (very small) thumbnail of the book cover. Not resizable, and frankly, almost too small to make out, but perhaps useful.

Is that what you're after?

5. photonanax3

photonanax3 Newbie

Bob - that does sound like what I'm looking for. Thinking through what I want, I ended up creating a new folder with the maps and placed in the documents folder. Even creating a shortcut to that particular folder would work. I try the GoLauncher app and that doesn't exactly get me to where I want. When searching for the app you suggested, is that the same as ADWLauncher EX by chance?

6. bobstro

bobstro Well-Known Member

Yes, that's it. Bloody autocorrect changed it to EXCHANGE I see. :) DYAC!