• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Shortcut for speed dial?

JB in AZ

Android Expert
Oct 27, 2009
Florida
I have serched this forum to no avail. Is it possible to make a shortcut on the home page for speed dial? I can't seem to make it happen. I am able to make shortcuts for other things. I prefer the one-touch dialing speed dial provides. Thanks for any help with this...or other suggestions. :)

I have serched this forum to no avail. Is it possible to make a shortcut on the home page for speed dial? I can't seem to make it happen. I am able to make shortcuts for other things. I prefer the one-touch dialing speed dial provides. Thanks for any help with this...or other suggestions. :)

You can create a shortcut to dial a person and put that shortcut on your home screen (you could also create a folder to hold all of your speed dial shortcuts).

To do so, click the "+" on the Home screen,

then click "Shortcut,"

then click "Person",

then choose the person you want,

then choose the number you want and

voila... a shortcut that will dial that number for that person appears on the home screen. You can also do this for one-click sending of texts and emails.

The only thing I can't find a way to do is to rename the icon to make it more clear WHICH function you are performing in case you have multiple shortcuts for the same person.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
You can create a shortcut to dial a person and put that shortcut on your home screen (you could also create a folder to hold all of your speed dial shortcuts).

To do so, click the "+" on the Home screen,

then click "Shortcut,"

then click "Person",

then choose the person you want,

then choose the number you want and

voila... a shortcut that will dial that number for that person appears on the home screen. You can also do this for one-click sending of texts and emails.

The only thing I can't find a way to do is to rename the icon to make it more clear WHICH function you are performing in case you have multiple shortcuts for the same person.

Hope this helps.

This is GREAT! Thanks so much!

So how do I name this new folder?? Something other than "Folder" would be nice LL

Upvote 0
Anyone figure out how to rename the shortcut yet? I showed this trick to my friend with a droid and his icons have indicators on them to tell you if you chose text, email, voice, ... and the shortcuts only have the name instead of Shortcut to ...

you should be able to create a shortcut for calling, texting, and loading the contact card..at least, those are the three options I've used. Calling says "Call 'person'", texting says "Send to 'person'", and contact card says "View 'persons' contact card".

I don't know about making custom names for them, but you should be able to do those three options for each person.

Actually, there's an option for anything available for that contact. For example, for my Dad, I can: View contact, Call work, Call mobile, Send Message, Send mail (email 1), and Send mail (email 2).

that's by long pressing on an empty space, selecting "shortcut", "person"

Upvote 0
I apologize for not stating well enough my reasons for needing to rename the shortcut. I posted the question from memory and then looked at my speed dial folder and realized all my shortcuts have "Call FirstName LastName." The problem is that I have a speed dial for home and mobile for some people and they both have the same title. They don't have the Call . . (Home), Call . . Mobile I would like to see.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones