• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Shortcut for turning on/off mobile data?

prb888

May 3, 2015
Hi everyone.
I'm running Marshmallow (on an unrooted Galaxy A5 2017 Edition).  I've learned how to use the Quick Settings dropdown tray, and I've learned how to customize the tray by tapping and holding one of the buttons.
Using the tray (rather than tapping my way through Settings), toggling WiFi on/off is easy.  I just:
1. pull down the tray...
2. tap the WiFi toggle switch...
3. pull up the tray...
... simple!
However, toggling mobile data is much more of a hassle. I have to:
1. pull down the tray...
2. tap the Settings gear icon...
3. tap Connections...
4. tap Data Usage...
5. hit the Mobile Data switch...
6. close the window (which takes two taps)....
...SEVEN taps/pulls - what a chore!
Furthermore, because I have to switch between mobile and WiFi several times a day (I don't want to leave both radios on all the time and drain the battery), this is a real pain in the @ss.
Basically, I haven't been able to figure out how to place a mobile data toggle on my Quick Settings dropdown tray.  Is this possible?  I'd much prefer to have a mobile data toggle on the tray than a few of the other options that are available.
I've read something about enabling the 'System UI Tuner' by long-pressing the Settings gear icon, but my long-presses don't do anything (apparently, the icon is supposed to spin and then I can go in and muck about with the Tuner from there).
Does anybody have any ideas for making this easier?  Should I have bought a Nougat phone instead?
Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Have you considered putting a settings shortcut on the home screen?

Thanks for your suggestion.  I assume you're talking about adding a Settings 'widget' to the home screen, right?  Unfortunately, when I go through the list of all my available widgets, none of them have anything to do with 'Settings' (all of the widgets seem to pertain to one app or another).
I believe I mentioned this - I'm running Android 6.0 (Marshmallow). I have no idea how to do what you're suggesting. Perhaps I'll need to use an app like Nova Launcher? (I hope not.)

Upvote 0
Thanks for your suggestion.  I assume you're talking about adding a Settings 'widget' to the home screen, right?  Unfortunately, when I go through the list of all my available widgets, none of them have anything to do with 'Settings' (all of the widgets seem to pertain to one app or another).

I believe I mentioned this - I'm running Android 6.0 (Marshmallow). I have no idea how to do what you're suggesting. Perhaps I'll need to use an app like Nova Launcher? (I hope not.)

Hmm... Perhaps you weren't actually talking about widgets - sorry to have misunderstood you.  I actually DO have  a Settings shortcut on my home screen (it's in the very bottom row so I can access it from any of my home screen panels).
Yes, I can access the mobile data toggle switch using this shortcut, but it still takes me at least 7 or 8 taps (through 3 or 4 screens) to get the job done, compared to the simplicity of toggling my WiFi (drag it down, tap on WiFi, drag it up) using the pulldown drawer.

Upvote 0

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170715-095637.png
    Screenshot_20170715-095637.png
    127.6 KB · Views: 940
Upvote 0
Oh. You're using a carrier branded device in the US aren't you?

Sounds like US carrier doesn't want a quick shortcut for turning off their lucrative wireless data, and so apparently they removed it from their customized version phones

All phones I've seen do have toggle wireless data in the pull-up or pull-down menu, including Samsung devices

Upvote 0
Hi everyone.

I'm running Marshmallow (on an unrooted Galaxy A5 2017 Edition).  I've learned how to use the Quick Settings dropdown tray, and I've learned how to customize the tray by tapping and holding one of the buttons.

Using the tray (rather than tapping my way through Settings), toggling WiFi on/off is easy.  I just:

1. pull down the tray...

2. tap the WiFi toggle switch...

3. pull up the tray...

... simple!

However, toggling mobile data is much more of a hassle. I have to:

1. pull down the tray...

2. tap the Settings gear icon...

3. tap Connections...

4. tap Data Usage...

5. hit the Mobile Data switch...

6. close the window (which takes two taps)....

...SEVEN taps/pulls - what a chore!

Furthermore, because I have to switch between mobile and WiFi several times a day (I don't want to leave both radios on all the time and drain the battery), this is a real pain in the @ss.

Basically, I haven't been able to figure out how to place a mobile data toggle on my Quick Settings dropdown tray.  Is this possible?  I'd much prefer to have a mobile data toggle on the tray than a few of the other options that are available.

I've read something about enabling the 'System UI Tuner' by long-pressing the Settings gear icon, but my long-presses don't do anything (apparently, the icon is supposed to spin and then I can go in and muck about with the Tuner from there).

Does anybody have any ideas for making this easier?  Should I have bought a Nougat phone instead?

Many thanks in advance.

Enable airplane mode

Upvote 0
mikedt

Sounds like US carrier doesn't want a quick shortcut for turning off their lucrative wireless data, and so apparently they removed it from their customized version phones
All phones I've seen do have toggle wireless data in the pull-up or pull-down menu, including Samsung devices
You may have a point there! My carrier is Rogers in Canada, and I can't be bothered to phone them and find out because I have found a solution as I've documented below. Thanks for your perspective.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
chanchan05

Perhaps Rogers IS making it difficult for me to switch off using up my monthly data.  This would be very sneaky on their part!

*** I've found a solution!***  It's an app called Power Toggles and I'm using their home screen widget.  It's almost perfect (it takes 3 taps to toggle the wireless but only 1 to toggle the Wi-Fi) but 3 taps is way better than 8!
Thanks again everyone for your help.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
chanchan05

Perhaps Rogers IS making it difficult for me to switch off using up my monthly data.  This would be very sneaky on their part!
*** I've found a solution!***  It's an app called Power Toggles and I'm using their home screen widget.  It's almost perfect (it takes 3 taps to toggle the wireless but only 1 to toggle the Wi-Fi) but 3 taps is way better than 8!

Yes they are. The picture I sent is the toggle set from an international non carrier branded A5.

Upvote 0
chanchan05

Yes they are. The picture I sent is the toggle set from an international non carrier branded A5.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones