• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Shortcut for voice commands?

Dignan17

Jan 26, 2010
While I really like Ice Cream Sandwich, count me as one of the many people who's a little pissed at Google for the change in button layout and the permanent search box at the top of the default launcher's home screen.

I rarely, if ever, use the application switcher, but with my Nexus One I used the "press and hold the search button" ALL THE TIME to complete voice searches.

Frankly, I would be completely fine with all of the changes if it weren't for one thing: for whatever reason, I simply cannot hit that voice search button. You know the one in the right-hand side of the search box? For some reason it takes me like 5 presses to initiate it, and that's if I'm using the phone two-handed. If I'm using one hand I just give up.

So what I'm looking for is a way to make a shortcut on my home screen that can initiate the voice commands prompt. It used to be a lot easier to get a selection of shortcuts, but I'm not really sure how/if I can add them in ICS. It looks like I only have the options to add settings and GMail label shortcuts...

Please help! Thanks!

Reactions: aceofspades626
I'm sorry, I should have mentioned that I'm looking for a workaround that avoids alternate launchers. I've used several launchers in the past, and even the most lightweight ones (like Zeam) seem to create performance issues. Plus, I don't mind the default launcher aside from this one issue.

I'm going to try Zeam again, though. I liked the minimalism of that one, and some of the features it has that I haven't seen in other launchers...

Upvote 0
I was also going to recommend Nova. I tried a launcher on my DX and hated it. I figured I would with the GNex, too. But once I set it up, I haven't gone back. I was kind of surprised when I saw the little voice search shortcut as an option. I haven't used it yet, but it's on my screen in case I need it. I don't know of any basic app that will give it to you, though.

Upvote 0
Nova is a great alternative to stock. No lag no issues and plenty of useful features. The voice search shortcut is one that saved me lots of screen real estate.

+1

Just use Nova. It *is* the stock launcher, which you want to keep using, with a few extra features, like the one you want, unlike other launchers which change the look and feel. It's the perfect answer to your question.

Upvote 0
+1

Just use Nova. It *is* the stock launcher, which you want to keep using, with a few extra features, like the one you want, unlike other launchers which change the look and feel. It's the perfect answer to your question.

Perhaps, but to replace your entire launcher and have something additional running just to add this shortcut seems excessive.

Anyway, I've now moved on to a different launcher myself, so it turns out I didn't want to use the stock launcher anyway. I now nearly get what I want with Google Now. It's a little annoying that instead of one action (holding down the search button), it now takes two actions (swipe up on the home button then tap the tiny voice search target), but I can deal with it. Plus Google Now is awesome :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones