1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Shortcut for voice commands?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Dignan17, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Dignan17

Dignan17 Well-Known Member

While I really like Ice Cream Sandwich, count me as one of the many people who's a little pissed at Google for the change in button layout and the permanent search box at the top of the default launcher's home screen.

I rarely, if ever, use the application switcher, but with my Nexus One I used the "press and hold the search button" ALL THE TIME to complete voice searches.

Frankly, I would be completely fine with all of the changes if it weren't for one thing: for whatever reason, I simply cannot hit that voice search button. You know the one in the right-hand side of the search box? For some reason it takes me like 5 presses to initiate it, and that's if I'm using the phone two-handed. If I'm using one hand I just give up.

So what I'm looking for is a way to make a shortcut on my home screen that can initiate the voice commands prompt. It used to be a lot easier to get a selection of shortcuts, but I'm not really sure how/if I can add them in ICS. It looks like I only have the options to add settings and GMail label shortcuts...

Please help! Thanks!

aceofspades626 likes this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. batwings1

batwings1 Well-Known Member

Try using Nova launcher. It has a voice search shortcut that you can add anywhere. It also allows you to remove the default Google search bar.

3. Dignan17

I'm sorry, I should have mentioned that I'm looking for a workaround that avoids alternate launchers. I've used several launchers in the past, and even the most lightweight ones (like Zeam) seem to create performance issues. Plus, I don't mind the default launcher aside from this one issue.

I'm going to try Zeam again, though. I liked the minimalism of that one, and some of the features it has that I haven't seen in other launchers...

4. TheyCallMeBT

TheyCallMeBT Android Enthusiast

I was also going to recommend Nova. I tried a launcher on my DX and hated it. I figured I would with the GNex, too. But once I set it up, I haven't gone back. I was kind of surprised when I saw the little voice search shortcut as an option. I haven't used it yet, but it's on my screen in case I need it. I don't know of any basic app that will give it to you, though.

5. Tim K

Tim K Android Expert

Nova is a great alternative to stock. No lag no issues and plenty of useful features. The voice search shortcut is one that saved me lots of screen real estate.

6. batwings1

batwings1 Well-Known Member

Nova is definitely worth trying. It's just like stock but with more options. If you don't like it after trying, delete it.

7. jclake

jclake Member

Try Google Voice Search Button, an app by Giant Turtle. It is an Icon that launches voice search.

TheyCallMeBT likes this.
  8. Tunga

Tunga Well-Known Member

The other option is to unlock it and install a ROM that lets you add a search button to the nav bar.

9. AndroJak

AndroJak Newbie

Have a look at Quick Shortcut Maker in the market - use the Voice Search entry that ends in RecognitionActivity

10. Edmarines

Edmarines Lurker

11. idic

idic Well-Known Member

+1

Just use Nova. It *is* the stock launcher, which you want to keep using, with a few extra features, like the one you want, unlike other launchers which change the look and feel. It's the perfect answer to your question.

12. Dignan17

Perhaps, but to replace your entire launcher and have something additional running just to add this shortcut seems excessive.

Anyway, I've now moved on to a different launcher myself, so it turns out I didn't want to use the stock launcher anyway. I now nearly get what I want with Google Now. It's a little annoying that instead of one action (holding down the search button), it now takes two actions (swipe up on the home button then tap the tiny voice search target), but I can deal with it. Plus Google Now is awesome :)

13. Neera

Neera Well-Known Member

I think this is what you are looking for since you are on the stock launcher:

ICS Voice Search Shortcut

But I agree with the previous posts: Nova Launcher is great!
    Have been using it for a long time. Just give it a try. No need to root or anything. :)

14. ttttt

ttttt Lurker

If you want just a big Google Voice Search button that you can put anywhere, add the Search widget and resize it to where all you can see is the google voice search button. It will only work on the white "Search" widget, not the black "Google Search" widget.

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews