1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Shortcut to Google Maps route?

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by ash1066, Jun 13, 2016.

1. ash1066

ash1066 Lurker
    None

Jun 13, 2016
    Male
    Hi,

Using Google Maps on my PC, I created a number of circular cycling routes of varying lengths involving multiple destinations (something not possible on the phone app). I can then transfer this route to my phone using the 'share or embed map' option on the menu, copying the link it provides, then emailing it to my phone. When I open the email on my phone and click the link, my route opens on my phone's Google Maps app, and I can use SatNav feature to guide me around it.

However, so far, I can only access my routes by finding the appropriate email in my overloaded inbox.

Is there a way to save the link somewhere more accessible (like a PC's desktop shortcut), so I can build a library of routes that can be accessed with minimal clicks?

Many thanks for any help.

Advertisement

vdraq likes this.
  2. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    Instead of sending maps through your email, maybe just send them directly to your phone (so they'll just go right to the Google Maps app). As long as your phone is one of the registered devices in your Google account, when you're using the Google Maps site on your computer in that blue 'Send directions to your phone' link on the left-hand side panel you should have options to send it to either your phone (directly to the Google Maps app), Email, or Text. When you've sent a map to your phone, in the Google Maps app there's the hamburger menu (three horizontal lines) in the upper left corner and one of the options is 'Your places' where you can save different places and maps.

vdraq and tube517 like this.
  3. ash1066

ash1066 Lurker
    None

Jun 13, 2016
    Male
    Thanks, Svim, unfortunately, it won't allow me to do that as it says 'Not supported with multiple destinations' when I try to send directions to my phone. And all my routes include a number of destinations.

However, I think I may have just solved it myself...

I found a free app called 'Website Shortcut' that allows me to create shortcuts from links on my home screen. All I needed was to be able to insert the necessary links. As each link is too long to type, I transferred it from PC to phone by creating a Contact with that name (http//...etc), then editing the |Contact on my phone so I can cut and paste it into the shortcut generator. I used Contacts to do it as it is the only thing that will let me cut and paste (for example, an email containing the link does not allow me to do that).

I have created a folder on my home screen in which I will put all my routes. I've done two so far, and it seems to work - a single click opens my route read for SatNav.

I hope this post may be useful to anyone else struggling to get easy access to a multi-destination route on their phone's Google Maps.

Thanks again for your response.

vdraq likes this.
  4. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    You could do something similar by saving the shortcuts to DropBox or Google Drive. Then you just open them on your phone, your PC, your Car's GPS, your toaster, your neighbor's cat ... and anything else that has access. ;)

vdraq likes this.
  5. ash1066

ash1066 Lurker
    None

Jun 13, 2016
    Male
    Good point, Lunatic59, but when I tried to transfer a shortcut to my phone via Google Drive, my phone said there was no program that could open it.
    Thanks, anyway.

vdraq likes this.
  6. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Hmmm, I just tried it. I opened a location in Google Maps on my PC, clicked the 'share' icon and selected short URL. Then I opened a DropBox location, right-clicked and selected "new shortcut" and pasted the short url. Saved it and then opened dropbox on my phone. When I clicked on the new shortcut it too me right to maps.

vdraq likes this.
  7. ash1066

ash1066 Lurker
    None

Jun 13, 2016
    Male
    Oh right... I did the same, but uploaded it to Google Drive. Then I downloaded it onto my phone. But when I tried to open it, it said it didn't have the program.

Like I say, I've managed to find a solution that puts a folder full of one-click links onto my home page, so I'm happy now :)

Many thanks for your help.

vdraq likes this.