• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Shortcuts for texting "u" and having it automatically change to "you"

Busymombjh

Lurker
Aug 29, 2011
I know this is minor and not very important to some people, however - I just switched from a palm pre to a samsung epic 4g.
I loved that when I texted the letter "u" it automatically changed it to "you", and the letter "r" changed to "are".
Is there a way to turn this feature on while texting with my Epic?
I realize that some texting lingo is accepted, but I prefer not to have abbreviated words.

forddna said:
lol..if you're just typing it manually anyway, how much more effort is it to type 2 more letters?
Agreed, that's why there is Swype.

Why do people bother answering threads just to insult the question. The OP said she doesn't like Swype (I don't either) and asked a legitimate question.

If you think the question is silly, just move on.

Upvote 0
I answered his question to the best of my ability and I will add on to it. No you can not create a shortcut for "u".

I have a better question. Why are you trolling 3 week old forums posting incorrect assumptions?

If you think that the response "just type 2 more letter" or "use Swype instead" answers the OP question "can the Epic expand U to YOU" then I really can't help you further.

Sorry, but I will not be taking your bait ("trolling" "incorrect assumptions").

Reactions: NASCAR
Upvote 0
lol..if you're just typing it manually anyway, how much more effort is it to type 2 more letters?

agreed with the other guy about complaining in someones post if you don't have a helpful suggestion please just go to the next post. I had to register here just so I could respond....

It isn't about typing out You... (2 more letters) that was an example of what they were looking for it is MUCH MUCH more than that.

The other guy wasn't looking in OLD post it is one of the top searches in Google when you type "Text Shortcuts".

So, to answer the question....

Blackberries also have this feature available as "auto Correct" but android doesn't call it that... you can go in to auto correct and tell it if you type LV for example it will type out;

Love Always,
Me

I used it all the time at work for acronyms or commonly typed words. Property was pp, a simple "thank you, me" was TY....

I searched and found this but I havent tried it yet; "swift key" app or
text expansion

both of them look promising, but I'll need to read more about them.

There has got to be a way for androids to do this.... it is such a huge time saver for me when I am on the road trying to respond to customers emails.

you can do whole sentences like; "Please feel free to call me anytime." just by typing pll or what ever you want to use for the short cut as long as it is not a word...

thanks
good luck and some andriod master please respond and give us all the answer we're looking for

Upvote 0
agreed with the other guy about complaining in someones post if you don't have a helpful suggestion please just go to the next post. I had to register here just so I could respond....

It isn't about typing out You... (2 more letters) that was an example of what they were looking for it is MUCH MUCH more than that.

The other guy wasn't looking in OLD post it is one of the top searches in Google when you type "Text Shortcuts".

So, to answer the question....

Blackberries also have this feature available as "auto Correct" but android doesn't call it that... you can go in to auto correct and tell it if you type LV for example it will type out;

Love Always,
Me

I used it all the time at work for acronyms or commonly typed words. Property was pp, a simple "thank you, me" was TY....

I searched and found this but I havent tried it yet; "swift key" app or
text expansion

both of them look promising, but I'll need to read more about them.

There has got to be a way for androids to do this.... it is such a huge time saver for me when I am on the road trying to respond to customers emails.

you can do whole sentences like; "Please feel free to call me anytime." just by typing pll or what ever you want to use for the short cut as long as it is not a word...

thanks
good luck and some andriod master please respond and give us all the answer we're looking for

You're talking about whole sentences. She/he was talking about 3 letter words. And you registered just to scold me, yet my posting was wasteful? Hypocritical. Moot point. Hope you both find what you're looking for. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones