1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Shortcuts getting deleted

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mpavlansky, Jun 8, 2011.

1. mpavlansky

mpavlansky Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 4, 2011
    NC
    I'm running stock GB and am also running Companionlink to keep all my Outlook contacts, calendar, tasks, and memos up to date on both my PC and phone. I sync 2-3 times a day minimum.

When the sync occurs with Companionlink, it automatically takes your USB setting from "charge only", to "mass storage", and then sets it back again.

When I sync, three shortcuts get deleted. The shortcuts have been deleting since I did the GB update. The three shortcuts that get deleted are Olive Tree Bible, Youversion Bible, and Pandora. I can add the shortcuts back, and after every sync, those three shortcuts always get deleted.

I can make the shortcut delete phenomenon occur by connecting my DX to the USB cable, then manually changing the USB connection from "Charge only" to "Mass Storage", and back, so it's highly unlikely that I have an issue with Companionlink.

Other shortcuts like Slacker, Vlingo, and Google Navigation all stay in place.

I'm puzzled as to why three of my shortcuts to applications are being deleted, and why all others are properly left in place. Any ideas?

Advertisement

2. WA_Bob

WA_Bob Android Expert
    None

Apr 11, 2011
    Male
    Forester
    West edge of the East Texas Piney Woods
    Let me guess - all the shortcuts are for Apps that you keep on your SD card? That's what happens to me also and drives me nuts because it never happened with Froyo. I'm not sure if this is just a DX problem or one with Gingerbread 2.3.3 in general, but it is highly annoying. Hopefully someone wiser than us has a solution! :thinking:

3. mpavlansky

None

Jan 4, 2011
    NC
    WA Bob, you're exactly right in your assessment. All the applications that disappear have been specifically moved to my SD card. All the applications that are properly staying in place, haven't been moved to the SD card yet.

It initially appears that GB won't allow a shortcut for any application located on the SD card. Maybe someone has a thought on how to fix this?

4. ihatespys

ihatespys Newbie
    None

Dec 9, 2010
    Indiana
    It happens to my Angry Bird shortcuts haven't came across any other ones yet. Seems like GB update is screwy my SD card craps out shortly after update shortcuts dont show lol its weird.

5. mpavlansky

None

Jan 4, 2011
    NC
    The only work around seems to be to move any applications we had on our SD card while running Froyo, back to the phone memory now that we're running on Gingerbread. I'd prefer to play it more conservatively and save storage space, knowing that someday in the future I'll fill it all up.

I'll have to get comfortable with loading apps that I need/want shortcuts for onto my device alone.

6. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    Moving this to support. :D