1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Should ads be assumed?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by timetoroot, Jan 11, 2012.

1. timetoroot

timetoroot Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 13, 2011
    Ohio
    I am new to Android and with my new GNex, I am excited to start downloading some apps. My question is it safe to assume that a free app with no pay versions or upgrades/subscriptions will most likely support ads? For example AirDroid. It seems to be completely free with no additional paid options. I am sure the developer hasn't put the effort into such an app and independent website out of the kindness of their heart right? I would rather steer clear of apps that may support ads then have to seek out the culprit when an ad pops up after the fact.

Thanks!

Advertisement

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    There are two basic types of ads. Those that appear only within the app as you are using it. This is not very intrusive and perfectly acceptable to most people. Then there are the airPush ads that get installed along with the app and randomly push ads into the notification bar whether you use the app or not. You can detect and remove these offensive ads with Addons detector.

2horses and timetoroot like this.
  3. TheAtheistReverend

TheAtheistReverend Anybody want a peanut?
    VIP Member
    None

Feb 24, 2010
    EMT
    Minneapolis
    There is a difference between an app having adds in it and airpush ads. It is difficult to know if an app supports airpush (the ones that "pop up") but maybe looking through the app ratings will help you with that.
    There is an app on the market that seeks out installed apps that support airpush so you can uninstall them.

EDIT:
    Haha, what ^^ he said ^^
    :D

2horses and timetoroot like this.
  4. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy
    None

May 10, 2011
    Male
    I fix stuff
    Over there <points>
    Some apps are totally free. These apps usually are very simple, or have only one function (like flashlight apps). Some games are also ad free. It just depends on the author.

And some apps have ad placement that is visible, but doesn't detract from the app. Tank Wars is my favorite example. The ads are only on the menu screens (or after battle reports), but do not interfere with game play at all.

timetoroot likes this.
  5. 2horses

2horses Android Enthusiast
    None

May 11, 2010
    New Braunfels, TX
    Started getting the Airpush ads, really aggravating. Used their link to opt out (once I finally saw who it was), but just installed Addon Detector to find which app was supporting it - turned out it was one called My Settings. Yep, that got uninstalled too.

6. ral

ral Android Expert
    None

I think Google should reclassify apps to Free, Add Supported or Paid.