1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Should an iPhone user Convert

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Charken, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Charken

Charken New Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Hello all,

I have been happily using an iPhone for the last 2 years and currently have a 32GB 3GS. Being a bit of a techie and definitely not an Apple fanboi, I am seriously considering the move to Android.

There is one phone that particularly takes my fancy, however I have a number of questions which I am hoping someone can answer before I make the move. The phone I like is the Samsung Galaxy S.

Firstly let me list out what I mostly use my iPhone for.

1. Web browsing
    2. Email, I currently have 3 email accounts, two of the set up as Exchange ones via Google Apps
    3. Music, all in Apples AAC format
    4. Videos, I usually convert the DivX files to MP4 for iPhone playback
    5. Podcasts, easily synced via iTunes
    6. Apps, I have plenty of Apps of which I know a number will be replicated in the Android Market place
    7. RDP to get remote access to my desktop PC at home when I am out and about.
    So what I need to ask is: -

1. Is there a good app for syncing music, videos and podcasts for Android?
    2. Can multiple Exchange accounts be set up?
    3. Is the Galaxy S the best Android phone at the moment?
    4. in all of the above is there anything I havent considered?
    Thanks for any help you guys can offer me.

Regards

CK

Advertisement

2. from the aac varieties, android supports 3gpp and mpeg-4, but not raw aac - i don't know which one apple uses

remote desktop access isn't a problem, i'm using an ad supported (ie. free) version of "remote vnc" from the market

i wouldn't know about syncing, since i never felt the need for any (just copy-paste via usb/wlan/3g myself), but if you search these forums (or google, or androidapplications.com) for "sync software" or something, you should be able to find some examples

about the galaxy s being the best android phone - that's of course subjective
    it doesn't have hdmi out for instance, which would make the evo 4g a better choice for someone
    on the other hand the galaxy s has a better screen

3. Chroma

Chroma Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2010
    Big no-no on Apple's format aac.(Opps, looks like I was very wrong about this) If your really big in the music/media/syncing games, iPhone is the best in the market.

I used iPhones for 3 years before switching to Android and the seamless syncing of all media is what I miss the most. Markspace-Missing sync make up for about 85% of it. I use it to sync my N1 to iTunes on my Mac. It does a good job and refreshes current playlists from iTunes on every sync.

It even has a bunch of feature not available with Apple's method. Like syncing folder which I like. Haven't tried podcasts with missing sync yet, as I use doggcatcher for all my rss/podcasts.

Can I ask why your still using aac instead of using universal mp3?

Android has no problem with .mp4s for video

I enjoy using the flash beta when I'm web browsing, some site are completely unusable with out it.

4. Charken

Charken New Member

Jul 7, 2010
    When I bought my first MP3 player (not an ipod) back in 2004 I encoded all my CD's into WMA format as it was regarded as superior to MP3. Then in 2008 I got my first iPhone and used iTunes to convert everything from WMA to AAC and have been using AAC ever since. I was always under the impression that AAC and WMA are superior to MP3 for any given bit rate or file size.

5. Vulcan

Vulcan Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2010
    None
    The internet
    android can handle flac and accwhat are you talking about? just get a custom media player for free in the market

6. Chroma

Chroma Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2010
    I suppose you can do it that way, I guess i was referring that Android does not do aac native. (lol, wrong again)

7. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    The web browsing is better because you have your choice of any browser you like and daresay i mention Flash

8. opticalshadow

opticalshadow Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2010
    id say go for it, the above lsited enough reasons to for qeustions. i happen to know there is a syncing program for atleast music on the market somewhere but i just drag and drop my music on my phoen with either usb or wifi, or i dl the song right to my phone, i agree the idea os syching seemed silly, in all honesty it makes what was already a seamless process more work intencive.

best phone? what are you trying to do, personally i love my Nexus One, and will hold on to it until later next year when i get a variety of 2ghtz phones.

and that one of the biggest reasons i love android over apple, android is a system of phones while apple only has one phone, which means its quickly obsoleted and you cant get anything better until a new iphone, but with android coming out with new phones all the time i can hop from phone to phone if i want. if you rate best phone by hardware, deffinitly go android, it will be the first to get the better specs.

as far as music goes, we have a pretty bare bones native music app, but i realyl just use my phone for storage when it comes down to that, it goes though my car set up so i cant comment to much otehr then its very K.I.S.S, movies, ive watched a few not bad looking.

my browser beats my friends 3gs every time, and thats just my stock browser, so as far as web surfing goes id say it has a one up there, and the email connected to my phone is also a blast.

and i found the app market to be very decent, and what you can find off market is suprising, there are a few high graphic games out there off market that really amaze me that my phone can run.

9. Penguissimo

Penguissimo Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2010
    If you ripped and encoded your AAC files in iTunes, you can play them just fine in Android.