• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Should I accept a new DX

GregTard

Aug 18, 2010
I had some issues with my battery after I received my DX early August. It did not last more than 8 hours with no data usage and everything disabled. I am on my company's plan, so I had to go through their corporate sales rep who played middle man between me and VZ tech support and even involved some Motorola support at some point.

I ran many test for them and gave very detailed app usage and battery usage stats from the "hidden" Android system menus. I assumed they would give me a new battery like so many users I have seen on various forums. They decided that I needed a new phone, but it would take 3 weeks to get here. I asked them to try a new battery first, but they insisted my problems couldn't be fixed with a battery (??).

Well, since I intend to keep the phone regardless, I went ahead and bought a spare battery since I knew I was going to need it even with the best battery life I have seen reported by any user. The new battery came last Friday and my battery life is acceptable at this point. It even increased more after I installed the leaked Froyo. I tried to wait for the new one, but I just couldn't take it anymore. I needed some Froyo goodness and root access.

Well, my new phone should be here Monday. My current DX battery is lasting me 14 hrs. (20%-30% left) with light usage. Heavy usage lasts about 6-7 hours. I would not expect more life from any device at this point and it is rock solid. I have no problems with crashing and it is an excellent phone, so the question is, should I accept the replacement phone? If I take the new phone, it may be buggy and then I will be worse off. Why couldn't they just send me a new battery first?

What would you do, keep it or accept the replacement?

It's a pain in the butt to move your apps, settings and preferences to a new phone. I got my replacement on Wednesday and it took me two full evenings to setup, even tho I had backups, my original SD card and screen shots of the my original phone. (I had charging issues due to a bad usb connector on the phone.)

Reactions: GregTard
Upvote 0
If it were me I'd do the following:

1. Keep your existing phone and report to them that the spare battery that you purchased seems to have resolved the problem.

2. Tell them you are returning the FRU phone and would like a replacement battery instead.

3. If they continue to insist that the battery is not the problem, contact your corporate VZW rep and provide the above information to them. Let the corporate rep convince tech support to send the new battery.

Upvote 0
It's a pain in the butt to move your apps, settings and preferences to a new phone. I got my replacement on Wednesday and it took me two full evenings to setup, even tho I had backups, my original SD card and screen shots of the my original phone. (I had charging issues due to a bad usb connector on the phone.)

Buy Titanium Backup and it's a breeze.

Upvote 0
I would take the new one cause I would like doing everything over again:D
But I am a bot, soooooooo.....you know me

That is the only reason I can think of to accept the new one...a fresh start. But not sure if it is worth it. I am currently rooted and running Birdman's FlyX with Black Glass X. I guess I will try to get the cash for the battery back because I don't want to have to get my DX back to stock and then modify the new one. I just don't have the time for it.

Thanks for the advice everyone.
:)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones