• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Should I buy HTC phones with Rogers?

an1sh

Lurker
Apr 20, 2010
I am interested in buying an HTC phone with android os, I am not very informed with android os on htc phones and would love to get some suggestion and ideas

Currently, 3 phones are tiered with rogers: dream, magic, touch english

From what I can understand, rogers and htc are having a back and forth dispute in receiving 1.6 updates(or 2.0?) for htc phones on rogers

Or should I wait until rogers get a new android phones?

I am interested in buying an HTC phone with android os, I am not very informed with android os on htc phones and would love to get some suggestion and ideas

Currently, 3 phones are tiered with rogers: dream, magic, touch english

From what I can understand, rogers and htc are having a back and forth dispute in receiving 1.6 updates(or 2.0?) for htc phones on rogers

Or should I wait until rogers get a new android phones?

Unless Rogers has changed this, but the HTC Dream is not getting any updates (correct me if I'm wrong). I do not own any Rogers HTC phones, so I am unable to comment on them.

If you can shell out $70+, I'd suggest you get the Sony Ericsson's X10 (not sure if you're a new/potential or existing Rogers customer). It's the newest Android phone exclusively at Rogers (omg that sounds like I'm promotion Rogers >_>).
http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.po...eless_Lower_Badge_Eng_0310-_-Wireless_Landing

Why I say the Sony X10, since it has a faster processor (1Ghz Snapdragon), a 4" TFT capacitative screen, 8 MP camera just to list a few examples.

Whatever you decide to buy, read the expert reviews and what users have to say on the forums to see what you like about the phones. Do your research as there are a lot of information out there :)

Here are some reviews on the various phones from one of my favourite review sites:
X10 Review:
Sony Ericsson XPERIA X10 review: Larger than life - GSMArena.com

HTC Dream (the site is American so the phone is call G1 in the US):
T-Mobile G1 review: The whole cagoogle - GSMArena.com

HTC Magic:
HTC Magic review: Practical magic - GSMArena.com

Another Android phone that Rogers carry is called the LG Eve, not sure if you're interested, but here is the review for it:
LG GW620 review: Start-up package - GSMArena.com

If you're not on contract and money is no issue, there is also the Nexus One, which is sold by Google. That one will cost you around $650 (shipment fee/tax/tariff/exchange rate difference).

Signing off
-Roze-

Reactions: an1sh
Upvote 0
You can read (if you want to) the whole long story about Rogers and the HTC Dream and Magic on my blog here: I Want My One Point Six - Demanding Android 1.6 for our Rogers HTC Magic & Dream, and LG Eve Phones

However to summarize:

1. HTC Dream will NOT be updated beyond 1.5. If that changes, we will post it when we know, but as far as Rogers is concerned, the official line at the moment is, NO UPDATE FOR YOU! If you don't absolutely need a hard keyboard, DON'T buy a Dream.

2. HTC Magic _will_ be updated to 2.1. Beyond that I can not say, we have had no promises, and haven't asked yet either really. I'm not holding my breath though, given what we had to go through to get what we did, I doubt we will get any more.

3. Touch English: Not sure what phone this is, but it is NOT an Android phone, so I can't comment on it. If you want an Android phone, don't get this phone.

Other Rogers Android phones:

X10: As Roze mentioned, the X10 is a very ice Android phone, however it ships with Android 1.6. It is supposed to get 2.1 eventually, but we don't know when yet, probably not until later this year.

Acer Liquid E: Not released yet. Nice phone, but no "hard" buttons. Comes with Android 2.1.

LG Eve: Nice phone, less powerful. Has Android 1.5, but is _supposed_ to be updated to 1.6 at some point this year, more than that we don't know. Has nice slide-out keyboard.

Reactions: an1sh
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones