• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Should I buy the Nexus 6?

So I have an iPhone 6s, but I really want a stock android phone and the Nexus 6 is only like $250 now. I wanna be a part of the android ecosystem, is the Nexus 6 still pretty good? I don't have a whole lot of money for the 6p, and the 5x hasn't been getting the best reception... I've watched a lot of reviews of the 6 on YouTube, but they're like over a year old... Thanks :)

What are some pros after a year?
Positives: Big, clear, bright screen, runs Marshmallow fast and smooth, will get Android N, good build quality, nice looks, good battery life, camera is better than some reviews would lead you to believe. Best of all it runs plain vanilla Android.

Negatives: Large, heavy phone, a necessary tradeoff to get the big screen and battery.

Upvote 0
Positives: Big, clear, bright screen, runs Marshmallow fast and smooth, will get Android N, good build quality, nice looks, good battery life, camera is better than some reviews would lead you to believe. Best of all it runs plain vanilla Android.

Negatives: Large, heavy phone, a necessary tradeoff to get the big screen and battery.
Thanks, I personally don't mind it being big. As I said in my first post, I have an iPhone 6s (not plus) as my day to day work phone. Easy to just pull out and text or call somebody. So I plan on using the Nexus 6 as more of a home, or vacation phone, kinda like a tablet.

Upvote 0
What are some pros and cons?
These are in my opinion, as will any pro and con list I suppose.
Pros:
Screen, speed/processor, Nexus, battery, look and feel
Cons:
Size overall, camera could be better

It's a damn fine piece of hardware, no 2 ways about it. Again, for 300 bucks you probably can't find "better" just maybe something you like better.

Upvote 0
I'd have to echo everyone else. Once you get used to the size there's nothing out there that will make you regret getting one. The con's that everyone likes to squawk about is the fact that there is no SD card slot and no removable battery. Never made a difference to me, but i don't load my phones down with media (other than a bazillion pictures of my grandson ;) ). One other thing you'll find missing is the fingerprint reader. Never had one, so I can't say if I'd miss it or not.

You can find a whole lot of user reviews in this thread: http://androidforums.com/threads/official-user-reviews.878762/

Upvote 0
To be honest, I don't know what a Nexus 6 ships with, but it's as up to date as a Nexus can be and the software experience should be just exactly the same as the 6P. I can't imagine anyone being able to tell the difference.

I'm not going to claim the display is "amazing" or "incredible" because I wouldn't know what makes one screen so much better over the other. It is clear, crisp and bright. You can see it in sunlight without any problems and it doesn't seem to have any color or contrast problems. White is white, black is black and everything in between is there, too. I've looked at it a hundred times every day for a year and a half and I can't think of one thing that bothers me about the screen.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones