1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Should I buy the original Galaxy Tab?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by unity04, Jun 20, 2011.

1. unity04

unity04 Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Here in Canada Bell is offering me a Galaxy Tab (original) for $0.00 on a 3 year contract, sharing my smart phone data plan for $10/month. I know the 10.1 is coming out- is it a huge leap forward from the original Tab?

I want a tablet that will allow me to browse the web quickly and watch online videos. Is the original Galaxy Tab good for this, or should I wait for the 10.1 to be released here in Canada?

Again, $0.00, $10/month to share my data...

Let me know!

Advertisement

2. LaTuFu

LaTuFu Android Expert
    None

Nov 10, 2009
    Project Manager
    Virginia
    The original Tab will have 2.2 or 2.3, and that's probably about it. Samsung is throwing their weight behind 3.1 honeycomb and the 10.1. Its probably well worth your time to wait.

Sure, you might be able to "force" 3.1 to work on a 7, but what if you can't?

And a 3 year contract? Holy smokes. You won't want to touch that tab in about 12 months, tops.

3. Bnice

Bnice Guest
    None
    Get the 10.1

4. Evan2ac

None

Jun 10, 2011
    Dont even think about getting the original Tab. The CPU is 3-4 times as slow as the Tegra 2 chips in current tablets.

5. andromatix

andromatix Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 7, 2011
    Male
    Sales
    Canada
    Just got the 10.1 today from Overseas Electronics. Rapid, less than 24 hr shipping as usual.
    You can't compare the little itsy bitsy tab with the new 10.1 in terms of liquid fast responsiveness. (Mind you the 7" form factor was OK, I even had a CrapBook, eh, I mean PlayBook for a while....)

You won't get the subsidy like any of the contract offerings from the major carriers, but I think as LaTuFu eluded to, a 3 year contract is a heavy price to pay indeed....

On Aug 19, FutureShop and BestBuy will offer in Canada. I've been wanting one since the launch in the U.S. Got tired of waiting, and ordered online.

Today was day 1. Love it. One significant con is the lack of numerous apps optimized for Honeycomb right now....only a matter of time...I think they are literally added daily....

Enjoy...good luck.

6. corybantic

corybantic Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 14, 2011
    Turn around...
    I bought my 10.1 after a close friend of mine got an excellent deal on the original 7 inch tab - he got it for $320. Having been very impressed by it, I decided to go purchase one...that's when I say the 10.1. I played with it and fell in love and so I bought it!

To be honest with you, if I were in your situation I would take several factors into consideration: Size, if you get the Tab 7, you can easily lug it around and even stow it away in a pocket with the 10.1, you definitely need to carry it in a case or in a back pack. Also, it's two totally different things to be able to connect the Tab 7 to your car stereo and cycle through your music then it is to pick up the 10.1 and browse for some music to listen to.

Another thing is the cost. In the US, the 10.1 starts off at $500, add taxes and perhaps a peripheral or two and you've just incured a big expense. Verses $0 down and $10 per month.

Lastly, consider the coverage. your going to get, i expect, 3g coverage with your $10 plan. If you purchase the wifi only 10.1, you better have some wifi hotspots near you if you plan on surfing the interwebs.

If I were you, I'd stick with the Tab 7 for the next 3 yrs. by then, if you want to, you can sell the tab 7 and buy the latest and greates tablet out there. Also, bear in mind that the Tab 7 finally got the gingerbread 2.3 update!

7. Jore

Jore Android Enthusiast

Feb 9, 2011
    California
    Serious?

8. Dead Cell

Dead Cell Newbie
    None

Feb 28, 2010
    Get the 10.1 dude the original Tab is horrible its just like a big phone! You dont want to be stuck with that for 3 years!