• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Should I buy third party battery to increase my mobile's capacity?

Yashraj

Mar 8, 2011
I like everything about android phones except battery capacity.
Recently, I just found that on ebay.in, I could buy batteries for my android, third third part company, and with higher capacity, so should I buy them to increase my android's capacity rather use the manufacturer provided lower capacity ones?
If so, which companies do you recommend?

I have a Precedent I purchased last month and quickly learned about the short battery life of Androids.

The options I considered were: (1) Buy a thick long life battery that comes with a new phone back plate. It makes the phone thicker and requires the new back plate. I decided I did not want a bigger phone. (2) My other option was to buy a standard size battery with a higher life (go from stock 1500mAh go 1800mAh). I rejected the option of buying an expensive Samsung replacement battery.

One issue is that a non-Samsung (non-OEM) battery works just fine in the phone, but my Samsung phone will not allow the non-OEM battery to be charged while in the phone. However, the Samsung OEM battery can be charged in the phone as well as in the after market generic charger.

Here is what I did. I purchased two 1800mAh "AceSoft" batteries that included a plug in charger. Including a charger with an after market battery(s) seems to be standard practice.

This gave me 3 batteries; the Samsung OEM battery that came with the phone and 2 spare batteries. I bought 2 spare batteries rather than one so that I can have one battery in the phone, one spare in my pocket, and the other spare is in the charger. If I use the spare in my pocket, I put the discharged battery in my pocket until I get home and swap the discharged battery for the freshly charged battery in the after market plug in charger that came with the non-OEM batteries..

This works for me, but you may decide that either the thick battery or a stock size spare battery will work best for you. Of course, you can always buy an over priced OEM battery.

Also, I found there is not much difference in use time between the 1500mAh and the higher capacity 1800mAh batteries.

One last thing, just in case you or someone reading this post did not understand the jargon term, OEM; it means Original Equipment Manufacturer to distinguish between it and an after-market product.

I made my purchase on E-bay, but did not consider battery brand name. I received the AceSoft batteries. I notice that many of the vendors on E-bay advertise their batteries as being AceSoft. They work fine for me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones