• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Should I "desire" a case or not?

I've had my desire for the last whole week and bought a sillicon case to avoid any reckless scratches. with the case the Desire looks pretty thick and bulky, not as it should be, if i take my Desire out of the case i get worried about it being scratched or dropped from my hand (the cover too slippery) or out of my pocket while i am running.

Anybody here has the same concern as mine?

Using a Piel Frama - the Rolls Royce of cases. Rock Solid, sensuous to the touch and expensive.

Is it worth it?
Depends on who you are.

As I carried a Palm in a Piel Frama case for years with a Nokia, the size of the Desire and the case is no big deal.

Phones always get dropped.

The security, beauty etc are worth it to me.

Highly recommended.

Upvote 0
Using a Piel Frama - the Rolls Royce of cases. Rock Solid, sensuous to the touch and expensive.

Is it worth it?
Depends on who you are.

As I carried a Palm in a Piel Frama case for years with a Nokia, the size of the Desire and the case is no big deal.

Phones always get dropped.

The security, beauty etc are worth it to me.

Highly recommended.

I've totally agreed to stick to the case even though the phone wouldnt look as slim & slick.

Upvote 0
I disagree with the statement that phones always get dropped. I had my last phone for a year and a half and didn't drop it once. Or the one before that. Phones only get dropped if you aren't careful enough with them.

On that note, I have the Krusell Luna pouch that someone above mentioned. Keeps it safe in your pocket without adding much bulk to it, but allows you to use it with no obtrusive case

Upvote 0
Go naked! There's another similar thread somewhere with plenty of people saying they never use a case and their phones are immaculate after months of use.

Don't put it in the same pocket as keys or coins and don't drop it it and you'll be fine. I rarely see anyone with a phone in a case these days, although the GF does keep her iphone in one those bloody sock things. She's got 6 different colours!

Upvote 0
I'm naked right now ;)

Seriously though, I had a Touch HD for 18 months and only used the supplied pouch for about 2 weeks because it irritated me so much. It has the same rubbery backing as the Desire and was still pretty much unscathed until about a month ago after I put it in the same pocket as my ipod touch after I removed the silicon case from the ipod. Who knew ipods were so sharp :eek: it shaved a line of the edge of my Touch.

Lesson learned keep it naked - keep it on its own and life will be good. I would recommend a good screen protector though. I got the official HTC ones from play. Its perfect, the reviews on the sitre aren't accurate tho if you read through them.

Upvote 0
I'm naked right now ;)

Seriously though, I had a Touch HD for 18 months and only used the supplied pouch for about 2 weeks because it irritated me so much. It has the same rubbery backing as the Desire and was still pretty much unscathed until about a month ago after I put it in the same pocket as my ipod touch after I removed the silicon case from the ipod. Who knew ipods were so sharp :eek: it shaved a line of the edge of my Touch.

Lesson learned keep it naked - keep it on its own and life will be good. I would recommend a good screen protector though. I got the official HTC ones from play. Its perfect, the reviews on the sitre aren't accurate tho if you read through them.

Haha, maybe thats what Ipod is designed for against HTC.

Upvote 0
Phones only get dropped if you aren't careful enough with them.

I disagree with that. That's like saying you only get into auto accidents if you're not careful enough. Smartphones today have people hold phones out and using them in their hands and all it takes is for someone to knock you or hit your hand unexpectedly and theree you go - no matter how careful you are. My concerns are never with myself and how careful I'll be, but rather how careful other people are.

Upvote 0
I had a samsung omnia that was kept naked expect at work where I used a leather case. When I came to sell it it there were light scratches all over. I also worry about the camera on the back of the desire, seems easy to scratch the lens cover.
so ive bought this Brand New Black Hybrid XYLO-GEL Skin / Case: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

it does add to the bulk but I wouldnt say it takes the looks away

ALWAYS use a screen protector though :)

Upvote 0
I disagree with that. That's like saying you only get into auto accidents if you're not careful enough. Smartphones today have people hold phones out and using them in their hands and all it takes is for someone to knock you or hit your hand unexpectedly and theree you go - no matter how careful you are. My concerns are never with myself and how careful I'll be, but rather how careful other people are.

Kinda agree on that one, I have had two phones damaged by over people borrowing them. Most annoyingly was when my brand new RAZR V3 (about 2 weeks old) that I keep in its leather case, was dropped onto the car park floor by my MD when he asked to borrow it. The back flew off and the battery fell out, also made a big scratch on the phone. Not a happy bunny, so I no longer let other people use my phone

Upvote 0

See I have an inherent mistrust of other people around anything expensive, so my phone is kept well away from people wherever possible, and gripped very tightly when not. ;)

Upvote 0
have been using the proporta alu leather case since i bought the desire. its very gud protection. u dont need to worry at all compared to using it naked. just tht its bulky and big. thinkin of getting some thinner cases also for a change, like the casemate ones. it wud have been best if it had some sort of protection for the screen also, slider or flaps or something

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones