• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Should I do this?

daveowns

Jun 21, 2012
Should I buy the D3 from my brother? It's under contract but he is going to quit paying it. So the phone will get locked. I can pay and get the unlock code. If I do that (through cellularunlocked.net) Could I use Page Plus or some other prepaid service for it? If so should I buy it?

You are confusing the term "unlocked". The D3 on Verizon is not locked to Verizon's CDMA 3G network. The phone is shipped from the factory to be used on Verizon's network. The GSM portion of the phone is locked, and is not programmed for use on the North American GSM carriers.

If your brother stops paying for his contract, and doesn't pay his required Early Termination Fee, the phone will be blacklisted for use on Verizon's network. The phone will become known as a "Bad ESN" or "Bad MEID" phone. Page Plus utilizes Verizon's service, so any phone blacklisted by Verizon CAN NOT be used on PagePlus.

There are other CDMA services that the phone can be used on (Cricket, Metro PCS for example), even when blacklisted by Verizon. The "Bad ESN" phone would need to be "flashed" (programmed) for use on Cricket or Metro PCS. You would have to pay someone to flash the phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones