1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Should I downgrade or upgrade firmware? and what to?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by bjones277, Sep 16, 2011.

1. bjones277

bjones277 Lurker
    None

Sep 16, 2011
    Hi,

My wife and I both got a Samsung Galaxy S1 from Telstra about 5 months ago and we haven't been happy with the lag and slowness of general navigating through the phone i.e bringing up contacts, a website, loading of apps etc and have gone so far as to tell friends/family to stay away from these phones simply out of frustration.

One friend looked at my phone and saw the following information

Model N

Advertisement

2. Ijaz Ahmed

Ijaz Ahmed Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 1, 2010
    Are these phones network locked ? I have GT-I9000 and using XXJVK Gingerbread and I am happy.

If network locked, you could apply lagfix but I think you will void your warranty. There is no downgrade for Galaxy phones but upgrades are there. Telstra can help for an upgrade.

If phone is not locked to Telstra, you have plenty of choices to install newer ROMs.

3. alesssio

alesssio Lurker
    None

Sep 17, 2011
    Downgrading Eclair (code name of version 2.1)? Hardly, I would recommend to upgrade :) .... at least to Froyo (code name of 2.2) or Gingerbread (2.3).

Using Kies (Samsung's official upgrade tool) you should be able to upgrade at least to 2.3.3. The most recent version is 2.3.5 and is available at http://www.samfirmware.com/apps/blog/show/8512833-android-2-3-5-for-galaxy-s- but its not official yet (means you would have to "root" your phone).

4. Ijaz Ahmed

Ijaz Ahmed Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 1, 2010
    You don't need to root your phone to install any stock (leaked or official) ROM.