• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Should I even try?

razevigor

Lurker
Apr 28, 2012
I've had a Droid X running factory settings (with updates to 2.3.4 now of course) since August 2010. I've really just never gotten around to rooting it; it hasn't given me enough problems to make it urgent. In the past few weeks, though, it's stopped reporting the battery level correctly, and I need to do something about it. I'm aware that there's a chance the battery is just dead after all the time, but I'd like to try fixing it on a software/firmware level before buying new hardware--it jumps from 75% down to 40% in five minutes, then I lock it and unlock it and it's at 17%; I plug it in and it jumps to 50% in under a minute. It also ran at so-called 5% for nearly an hour last night.

In any case, I figured since I was planning on doing a factory reset I might as well try rooting it and installing Liberty or CyanogenMod. What I'm finding here... is thoroughly discouraging. Should I even try rooting this relic or are my chances close to 100% of spending fruitless hours trying and failing?

I've had a Droid X running factory settings (with updates to 2.3.4 now of course) since August 2010. I've really just never gotten around to rooting it; it hasn't given me enough problems to make it urgent. In the past few weeks, though, it's stopped reporting the battery level correctly, and I need to do something about it. I'm aware that there's a chance the battery is just dead after all the time, but I'd like to try fixing it on a software/firmware level before buying new hardware--it jumps from 75% down to 40% in five minutes, then I lock it and unlock it and it's at 17%; I plug it in and it jumps to 50% in under a minute. It also ran at so-called 5% for nearly an hour last night.

In any case, I figured since I was planning on doing a factory reset I might as well try rooting it and installing Liberty or CyanogenMod. What I'm finding here... is thoroughly discouraging. Should I even try rooting this relic or are my chances close to 100% of spending fruitless hours trying and failing?

A) Are you fairly tech savy?
B) Do you have a USB, CD Burner, and blank CDs?
C) Can you boot your computer off of a CD?

If you answered yes to all of these, you are in business, even converting from .621 is fairly easy. It will just take a couple of hours your first go around. If this is all good, then just download the 1KDS disk (link #1). Unzip and burn to a disk. Then download CM( and Gapps from link #2 and don't unzip, but copy to you SDcard. Then boot your phone holding Power\Vol-\ and the home key. Then boot your computer with the CD. Plug the phone into the USB on your computer and on your phone. And run the disk, it even has a root on the program. Install bootstrapper. Then boot recovery and install the .zips from link #2. Wipe data, wipe cache, advanced - wipe davlik all in bootstrap recovery. Reboot. I have the CD burnt and can do it in about 20 minutes. The long part is getting all of your profile and apps back up. The following 2 links have all you need. I would completely read them before doing it. Having ICS on a DX is like getting a new phone.

Linux solution to your Windows/RSD lite problems

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-roms/199030-cyanogenmod-9-beta-dx-4-24-a.html#post2022094

If you finish with that and your battery is still acting crazy, here is where you get a new one for 20$. This is about an all day battery on original CM9 4.0.4 and about a 2 day battery on Liberty.

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Extended-Battery-Technology-Performance/dp/B004NQQCOK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1335666062&sr=8-2

If you can make this DX last until fall, the new quad cores should be out and you will get a phone that lasts a lot longer. Even most of the "newer" phone coming out right now are not really 2-3 year phones.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones