• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Should i finally update to gingerbread?

stardamage

Apr 3, 2011
Hi guys, when gingerbread was first available for my desire hd a few months ago I bottled it as people were complaining about the WiFi problem and emulator not working etc. Can anyone confirm if these problems still exist.
I love my emulators and leave things downloading overnight on my phone so it would be a pain if updating ruined this.
Also will I lose any files, apps, or anything?
Can anyone help please, im with vofafone if that matters.

Hi guys, when gingerbread was first available for my desire hd a few months ago I bottled it as people were complaining about the WiFi problem and emulator not working etc. Can anyone confirm if these problems still exist.
I love my emulators and leave things downloading overnight on my phone so it would be a pain if updating ruined this.
Also will I lose any files, apps, or anything?
Can anyone help please, im with vofafone if that matters.

So far before rooting I have updated from Froyo to gingerbread to sense 3 and not once did I have a problem arise from an update. (I'm on o2 however the phone was not supplied by o2)

Upvote 0
Standard updates shouldn't mean you loose anything...

If you are worried, then you can be safe in the knowledge that it is possible to back up as follows:

All contacts are backed up with your gmail account (worth doing anyway - if you loose/change your phone, then you still have all the numbers when you sync your new phone with your gmail account).

All apps are also linked to your google account (and would start to download again once you connect your phone up) - I am pretty sure that you shouldn't loose stuff though.

For SMS and call logs (if you really want the call log), then there are apps available on the market to back these up too.

Let us know if you need any more info!! :)

Upvote 0
I didn't reply to your original query for two reasons - and I suspect many others here will have felt the same as me.

Firstly, although I can tell you that my upgrade went smoothly and was problem-free, it is clear that a small number of people have experienced issues. But everything I know about these problems is what I've gleaned from reading this forum, so it's surely better if you do the same? Also, I don't want to be left feeling responsible for a decision that has to be yours. I suspect that the more people take their DHDs off-piste, the more likely it is that they'll experience clashes and problems. It sounds like you might belong in this category, so my experience as a 'standard' user is probably of little relevance to you.

Secondly, you say "I love my emulators and leave things downloading overnight on my phone so it would be a pain if updating ruined this" but although, as an electronics design engineer, I know exactly what an emulator is, I don't know anything about the specifics of what you are doing, so can't give any advice regarding this.

Anyway, good luck if you do decide to press ahead.

Reactions: D-U-R-X
Upvote 0
I didn't reply to your original query for two reasons - and I suspect many others here will have felt the same as me.

Firstly, although I can tell you that my upgrade went smoothly and was problem-free, it is clear that a small number of people have experienced issues. But everything I know about these problems is what I've gleaned from reading this forum, so it's surely better if you do the same? Also, I don't want to be left feeling responsible for a decision that has to be yours. I suspect that the more people take their DHDs off-piste, the more likely it is that they'll experience clashes and problems. It sounds like you might belong in this category, so my experience as a 'standard' user is probably of little relevance to you.

Secondly, you say "I love my emulators and leave things downloading overnight on my phone so it would be a pain if updating ruined this" but although, as an electronics design engineer, I know exactly what an emulator is, I don't know anything about the specifics of what you are doing, so can't give any advice regarding this.

That is a good answer John - I think that, when GB was orignially released, there were some problems, but most (if not all) were addressed by updates that the networks released or, if not, there are workarounds.

As you say, there are many who have not had issues - one of my friends on Orange has not rooted (in his own words, rooting just isn't for him) and has had updates without issues.

We will certainly help out, if possible, should you hit any issues, but ultimately it is yours.

Upvote 0

Hi guys thanks for help and advice.
The emulators I am talking about are the game console emulators like n64oid and the mame4droid etc. Just remember a member saying they no longer worked.
Think I might try it later an tell you how I get on.

Upvote 0
I had downloaded n64oid on 2.3 which played fine but crashed after playing a while, but I doubt it's 2.3 doing that. also I had a Gba emulator which worked flawlessly on 2.3, when you update make sure you backup your game ROM folder with save files iI know how frustrating it can be losing save files xD.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones