• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Should I force upgrade?

tinkertron

Mar 1, 2010
So i'm thinking about forcing my G1 phone upgrade to the latest and safe releasee. But I don't know what that is? Plus I hear that there are diffrent type of upgrades to the OS called MOD. I current have the DMD64 built. So is there anything better or worth doing a force upgrade? I keep hearing a verision called cupcake? Is this stable? I also hear that TMOBILE has yet to release this to their customer. I would enjoy your input in this matter. Thanks!

hi, not sure where u have been living but i thought everyone had 1.6 cupcake now. Cupcake (1.6) is the latest and yes perfectly safe version of a stock operating system on the G1.
1.6 was the last and only official upgrade from 1.5, if you want to upgrade to a custom ROM of 2.0, 2.1 or 2.2 then you will have to root your fone first before installing custom ROMs.

Upvote 0
lol sorry didnt mean it to come across rude its just i thought everyone would of had 1.6 by now. Well i havent rooted mine yet but im sure i have read that when you do root you device you dont get automatic updates sent to your fone so i cant really help you there.

If u have rooted it then why dont you just install a custom ROM as that would be more up-to-date then 1.5. I hear cyanogen are the best and instead of having 1.6 you would have a better one like 2.1 etc.

where ru from? that buld doesnt sound familiar, im from the UK and my build is DRC92

Upvote 0
I think DMD64 is latest official update, next to DRC92, both are Android 1.6. MODS are unofficial ROMs, which are ranged from Android 1.6 to 2.2.1, CyanogenMod is most famous, but there are more.
If you're rooted and need (want) some update, you have to flash some MODified ROM, because T-Mobile won't provide any update for G1 anymore.

Upvote 0
Well I took my G1 in and had the software upgrade to the CyanorenMod6 the 2.2 Froyo. I have some mix review for this mod. They say it stable, but I kinda disagree with that. It is somewhat buggy at times, and wish I could find a simply strip verision of the 2.2. Cyanoren had bundle this mod why too much, I believe and that is why it's buggy. Some custom ROM built in that don't work, several trees of option (making it hard to find) the option you are looking for. I'm now looking for a rom that doesn't beat up on my poor old G1.

Upvote 0
CM is not bad, I'm running 6.1.0 stable now and everything is working fine and is stable. It's true, that beta versions and nightly builds are sometimes little bit unstable, or not everything is working in these builds, but therefore these are marked as unstable / nightly. If you don't need to test every build, just flash last stable build and it's OK.

Upvote 0
Yes, FRG83 is the last stable mod for Dream, I have just newer radio (2.22.23.02). I had the same reboot problem, but just when using GPS navigation (think it runs out of available memory). I use navigation every 2 months, so it's not a big problem for me, but if you have such problem during normal using, feel free to post the logs on Cyanogenmod forum (logs can be readout with "aLogcat"). Maybe on next reboot I will defeat my laziness and also post the logs.

Upvote 0
Let me also report a bug that I had yesterday. I went to make a call on my phone the phone was making the connection, when I raised the phone to my ear it started to vibrate, I look down on it and notice that it started to re-boot.

OK, I've checked the my logs after restart and found, it's related to swap (Swapper 2 - swap volume was somehow unavailable to system -> kernel panic -> reboot). So I've created swap as file instead of partition and hopefully it willl work better now.

Upvote 0
I'm going to try to update my radio too (keep your fingers cross), but whats with all the diffrent types of radios on the Dream download?

G1-radio-2_22_23_02.zip

and

ota-radio-2_22_19_26I.zip

Don't know the real difference, I think 2.22.19.26I was the last update for Europe, 2.22.23.02 was released just in USA (should have better 3G reception). Both should work (I've tried both with no prolems).

Upvote 0
You can pull your logs and maybe see, what's the cause of reboots and after reboot. Please try to readout the system logs in terminal or via adb:
- in terminal: "cat /proc/last_kmsg >/sdcard/last_kmsg"
- adb: "adb shell cat /proc/last_kmsg >/sdcard/last_kmsg"

and them pull it to PC "adb pull /sdcard/last_kmsg"

If you search for some "kernel panic", you can probably see find the reason for reboot.
In case of soft-reboot, "catlog" will show program logs.

Upvote 0
I made small mistake, adb sequence should be like this :
"adb remount"
"adb shell"
"cat /proc/last_kmsg >/sdcard/last_kmsg"
"exit"
"adb pull /sdcard/last_kmsg"

After which command do you get "permission denied"?. I've tried it on Windows computer and many times on my home Linux computer ( of course, on Linux with "./adb" instead of "adb" ). Maybe, if you're running on Linux, you can try to run this commands as root (even on my Linux it wors well under normal user).
IMO should adb run also on non-rooted phones (I have a rooted one) with enough permissions to perform this tasks.

Upvote 0
adb: "adb shell cat /proc/last_kmsg >/sdcard/last_kmsg"

This also doesn't work on my Linux because of my mistake (bad syntax). Have you tried to execute the commands from previous post (of course without quotes)? The sentence from previous post should work, you can also try this one (just 2 steps skipped, don't remove the quotes now, they're needed for shell parameters) :

adb remount
adb shell "cat /proc/last_kmsg >/sdcard/last_kmsg"
adb pull /sdcard/last_kmsg

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones