• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Should I get a smartphone or a laptop or wait?

mystvearn

Android Enthusiast
Jun 7, 2010
MY
Hi,

I had a Toshiba laptop which after years I sold it off. I am never a big fan of laptops in the first place as my desktop is better, faster and I use multiple screens as work computer. As far as I can tell I only need a portable computing device mainly for office programs like microsoft word and powerpoint, and data storage. I use photoshop but I don't think current smartphones can support it yet. I am reluctant to get a laptop as I know that it will be underutilised.

Since my contract phone runs out in June 2011, should I wait for better stuff to come or get a smartphone now? What I really want is a a mobile phone with Sony Vaio P series minature laptop for occasional work. Am I asking too much for the current crop of smartphones?

Thanks

There is no way your going to get a fully featured Photoshop-esque program to run on a modern cell phone. You can do some photo editing, but not quite Photoshop level quality. Besides, input is fairly limited. Almost any modern laptop should be able to run Photoshop fairly well (not necessarily a netbook though). The other things are not incredibly unrealistic. Nokia E63 could edit and create Word and Powerpoint documents. But I would rather create full documents on a laptop than a smartphone because of the limited input and small screen.

Possibly, with your needs/wants, I would aim for a laptop. Do you need pocketability, or just a solution to do your work on the go? A laptop would be far more adept at most of the tasks that you are talking about.

Upvote 0
Hi,

I had a Toshiba laptop which after years I sold it off. I am never a big fan of laptops in the first place as my desktop is better, faster and I use multiple screens as work computer. As far as I can tell I only need a portable computing device mainly for office programs like microsoft word and powerpoint, and data storage. I use photoshop but I don't think current smartphones can support it yet. I am reluctant to get a laptop as I know that it will be underutilised.

Since my contract phone runs out in June 2011, should I wait for better stuff to come or get a smartphone now? What I really want is a a mobile phone with Sony Vaio P series minature laptop for occasional work. Am I asking too much for the current crop of smartphones?

Thanks

Try asking too much from smartphones for the next 10 years :eek::eek:

Upvote 0
if you don't mind not having full Photoshop, I find a smartphone to be very useful.
although I'm not sure if there's been any decent word processing apps on android.
maybe windows mobile would be better for you?

if you need Photoshop get a laptop
my acer aspire one net book is great and runs it really well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones