1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Should I get a T-Mobile or Verizon Android?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Mr. Giggles, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Mr. Giggles

Mr. Giggles Lurker
    None

Apr 30, 2011
    I know T-Mobile has a much larger network, and Verizon has a faster network. I'm mostly wondering about what good current/upcoming phone to get, particularly with Verizon, since they only have one 4G phone out right now.

Advertisement

2. Rominucka

Rominucka Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 29, 2011
    It's hard to explain
    Delray Beach, FL
    Before you do anything, talk to as many people you know that use both carriers. There's no use in having a great phone that has bad service. It's like having a Ferrari but never having enough gas to to really drive it.

Both companies have really good phones and I'm sure you'd be able to find one you like from either, but signal strength and consistency is most important.

P.S. A Verizon dealer in my area said that they tell people to wait another year and a half to buy a 4G phone, because their standards aren't up to snuff yet.

3. ashykat

ashykat Android Expert
    None

Apr 27, 2009
    Irvine, CA
    To be clear, T-Mobile has a larger "4G" (HSPA+) network than Verizon's current and faster 4G (LTE) network, but when you talk about 3G coverage Verizons is bigger, though T-Mobile's is faster. You should look into the coverage in your area and go from there.

4. jimczyz

jimczyz Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 14, 2008
    Also take into account the merger of T Mo and AT&T

5. bloodylipp

bloodylipp Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 11, 2011
    It really depends on coverage where you live. Att is by far the best where I live. And I know they 4g isn't here, but I do speed tests that are consistently 4-4.5 mbs. I have the atrix but if you can wait long enough I hear the a samsung with a dual core and 4.5in screen us only a couple weeks away.

6. Pitamakan

Pitamakan Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 15, 2010
    Bozeman, Montana
    Yeah, that would be my primary concern. If you sign a T-Mobile contract now, the odds are pretty good that you'll eventually end up with an AT&T contract ... which as far as I'm concerned, at least, definitely wouldn't be a good thing.

7. cotajen

cotajen Lurker
    None

Jul 8, 2010
    I recently switched from Verizon to T-Mobile. Main reason is because T Mobile doesn't charge extra for tethering or mobile hot spot use. This means you can use your phone as an access point to the internet for your computer, Xbox or whatever else. Verizon and Sprint both charge @ $30 monthly for the service. T Mobile is also less expensive for monthly service in my area.

8. ashykat

ashykat Android Expert
    None

Apr 27, 2009
    Irvine, CA
    I would not worry about the proposed acquisition at this point. It will be at least a year before the deal is finalized, and that's pending that it actually is approved by the FCC and DoJ. If the deal does go through and in a year they've acquired T-Mobile, AT&T has the legal obligation to either fulfill the original contract you signed or let you out of your contract without any fees.

9. Tom Barrister

Tom Barrister Newbie
    None

Sep 25, 2010
    I realize that this thread is a few months old.

If you're planning on getting or switching mobile service, try to get your hands on a phone that has service with the carrier(s) you're interested in. Find somebody at work who has the same carrier. Check the phone to see how strong the signal is. Make a few calls. Check the data connection and speed with Speedtest. Then bring them home with you and repeat it.

I can't emphasize that strongly enough: try the network BEFORE you join. Where I live, Verizon and Sprint are each one "bar" of service. Calls drop, and data latency is spotty. If I move 100 meters east or west, it goes up to 3-4 bars and is fine. I just happen to live in a "dead spot" for these providers. AT&T and T-Mobile are fine where I live; call quality is excellent and data is fast and smooth. If I go a quarter of a mile west, my T-Mobile data drops from "4G" to EDGE. They haven't upgraded the tower I'm switching to yet.