• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Should I get an Evo now or wait?

Verizon is getting the HTC Thunderbolt.. it is and EVO for V... with their LTE 4G.

My guess it will have a few extra benefits..
like the same CPU as in the G2
and maybe more RAM same as the MyTouch4G
maybe even a 2nd microphone for noise cancellation
I also like its version of the kickstand.. which allows it to stand in Portrait too.
It looks like it has a nice speaker hidden under the new bigger kickstand...

but Sprint will save you $$ every month!

Upvote 0
I think it's pretty safe to say the dust has settled. I think the current delay is HTC's way of addressing some of the assembly line issues and the next batch should be as good as it gets. I'm definitely getting mine the next time it's on sprint.com. The wait has been just too painful reading about all the fun you guys are having! I'll be getting the squaretrade insurance so no matter what I can always get a new one if I run into any problems.:D
Why would you not get the 7 dollar INS from sprint and instead use a third party? Makes no sense.

Upvote 0
Hey guys, just picked up the Evo two days ago to see if I want to switch from my current iPhone. I'm still debating between the Evo and the MyTouch 4G.

The main issue I have now is that I hardly get a 4G signal at home, there are spots where it might come on for a minute and at work, I don't get 4G at my desk, but if I go near a window I get almost 2 bars. But it doesn't help me much if I don't get it at my desk or at home.

And now after reading about LTE possibly, I'm still digesting that information, I'm wondering if maybe they won't be upgrading WiMax as much. I'm guessing it's too soon to tell, but maybe I missed something somewhere.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Hey guys, just picked up the Evo two days ago to see if I want to switch from my current iPhone. I'm still debating between the Evo and the MyTouch 4G.

The main issue I have now is that I hardly get a 4G signal at home, there are spots where it might come on for a minute and at work, I don't get 4G at my desk, but if I go near a window I get almost 2 bars. But it doesn't help me much if I don't get it at my desk or at home.

And now after reading about LTE possibly, I'm still digesting that information, I'm wondering if maybe they won't be upgrading WiMax as much. I'm guessing it's too soon to tell, but maybe I missed something somewhere.

Thanks.

I don't even use my 4G here in Dallas. If im not doing something next to a window or in my car, I can't even get signal, and usually, by the time it would take me to turn on the 4G antenna and connect, I could have already looked up whatever I was going to on 3G. All my issues lie with sprint and not my EVO. I love my EVO, but sprint's coverage is a little hit and miss with me. For instance, when I'm at my girlfriend's house, which is in a very populated part of Dallas, I can barely pick up any signal and my battery suffers because of it. I will be tempted to switch to Verizon if I can absorb the extra cost when my plan is up.

Upvote 0
I don't even use my 4G here in Dallas. If im not doing something next to a window or in my car, I can't even get signal, and usually, by the time it would take me to turn on the 4G antenna and connect, I could have already looked up whatever I was going to on 3G. All my issues lie with sprint and not my EVO. I love my EVO, but sprint's coverage is a little hit and miss with me. For instance, when I'm at my girlfriend's house, which is in a very populated part of Dallas, I can barely pick up any signal and my battery suffers because of it. I will be tempted to switch to Verizon if I can absorb the extra cost when my plan is up.

Yea, if you're not getting coverage, then it makes sense to switch. I get GREAT Sprint coverage where I'm at, and where I work, and in-between so I'm lovin' my Evo.

Upvote 0
Hi all,

I've been lurking in this forum for a few months now, as I was sure the Evo would be my next phone. I am currently using a Samsung Moment, and can't wait any longer to get rid of it..

I know that CTIA is at the end of the month, and sprint will be showing off some pretty hot rumored phones, but I don't think I can hold out any longer this moment is driving me nuts...

Do you think I should wait, or just get the Evo? The thing is even if I wait till CTIA I don't think I will be able hold out until June whenever the new hotness drops..

Upvote 0
Hi all,

I've been lurking in this forum for a few months now, as I was sure the Evo would be my next phone. I am currently using a Samsung Moment, and can't wait any longer to get rid of it..

I know that CTIA is at the end of the month, and sprint will be showing off some pretty hot rumored phones, but I don't think I can hold out any longer this moment is driving me nuts...

Do you think I should wait, or just get the Evo? The thing is even if I wait till CTIA I don't think I will be able hold out until June whenever the new hotness drops..

I would wait, without a doubt. CTIA is next week! Just wait to see what's announced. If the phones don't seem up to par with what you think you can get out of the EVO, get the EVO. It's really a win-win situation.

Reactions: Pengwinn
Upvote 0
For those sitting on the fence, especially those of you with the Moment, jump! I got the EVO in January after suffering for a year with the Moment. I tell you it's the best decision you will make regarding a phone purchase because so far the EVO 4G has been stellar in performance. I have mine rooted with MikFroyo 4.5 ROM and not one, let me repeat, not one FC! The hardware is top notch and even if the battery might not be its strongest suite, you will never be away from a USB or wall charger for longer than a day.

I bought my White EVO from Radioshack when it was $149 for upgrade. Haven't seen it at that price since.

Upvote 0
not sure I understood the second part of that answer?? ^

Also if I return within 30 days it has to be trade in?

He means, wait to upgrade until summer because 1 year down the line, new phones will probably be released in 2012. Of course, this is assuming that you'll be gold premiere, not silver.

As far as I know, you can return the phone and have your upgrade status reverted back (within the 30 day trial).

My theory is this: If they're announcing the new phones coming to Sprint within the next 2 weeks, why not just wait to see exactly what those are and if they have specs that completely hold you back from getting an EVO now. If the specs underwhelm and don't completely blow the EVO out of the water, then just go upgrade to the EVO. Seems pretty simple to me.

Upvote 0
@Pengwinn, I posted on another thread about this but it's worth posting again.
Best Buy has just introduced their "Buy Back" program.
In a nutshell, if you buy a phone today & decide to upgrade any time between 31 days & 6 months, they will give you 50% of the retail price towards a new phone.
Example: You buy the Evo today for your upgrade price. Retail is $599. May 1 a new phone comes out that you'd rather have. You return the Evo to Best Buy, they will give you $300 towards the retail price of the new phone. If the new phone retails for $400, you pay the $100 difference & you don't even deal with the contract.

I have no ties with Best Buy so by no means am I an expert on this program but that is the way I have read through it over & over & over again.

Upvote 0
Just a small note. But you guys should keep an eye on phones at Walmart. They had the EVO over there for like $119.99 a month ago. My dad picked up a Samsung Fascinate for $50 and the EVO is only $129.99 with contract.

I'm pretty sure those are only for newly activated accounts, not for upgrades (for those of you that are just looking at an upgrade, not a new account with Sprint).

Upvote 0
I purchased an evo on March 12th, before i knew anything of the Evo 3D rumors about all the better specs. I also switched from t-mobile, so im brand new to sprint. Should i return my evo and use a sprint phone my friend gave me until the new one comes out, or stick with the evo? And if i were to use the older phone until the Evo 3d launch, would i still be able to buy the new evo for the 2-year contract price? Thanks:)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones