• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Should I get an HTC EVO 3D?

amblue

Jun 17, 2011
I currently have a HTC Thunderbolt and have been considering getting the EVO 3D. Overall I'm pretty happy with the TB but a few things such as cell phone reception, random reboots, and a lack of an HDMI port has made me consider the EVO 3D. Is there anyone who could give me any advice on this? Especially TB users who switched to the EVO 3D. Are there not as many differences between the EVO 3D and the TB as I expect?

Are you at the end of your contract? If not, I wouldn't pay $350 (or whatever the amount) to switch carrier right this second, especially since you've already got a Thunderbolt, and are grandfathered into Verizon's unlimited data.

If I were you, I'd wait till July and see how the Bionic is, and then buy that out of contract if it's amazing like the rumors say it will be.

Reactions: amblue
Upvote 0
Switching carriers for a phone is a bit absurd...unless you are unhappy with the carrier.

I keep seeing this same response but..I also know at some point Verizon is going to force me into that 2 gig crap. Grandfathered in? Sure if you want to use the Thunderbolt for the full term of your contract...because you and I both know it will go the way of AT and T. At some point, it will be "when you upgrade say goodbye". Just like was done on AT and T with the iPhone 4.

It angers me that Verizon keeps getting sub par phones compared to other carriers. There is no way anyone can argue me out of this. I had the droid 1, without the root community...that phone was garbage. The droid X? It was okay for me, but unless you un-blurred it..well it blew. I have the Thunderbolt at the moment and I also have the Evo3D. For lack of better terms, the 3d makes my other phone feel like a paper weght. Yes I rooted my tbolt. I have the extended battery. And both phones lasted the same length today. The EVO of course, is not rooted. Bloatware and all, and it's fine. Smooth as butter. Stock tbolt is fairly smooth but...try playing a game like Order and Chaos, and it hiccups occasionally. This alone shows some potential limitations. Adreno 205, I know I know. But if I end up forced to stick with that in order to get 4g LTE unlimited for the next 2 years? I will be very frustrated. The Bionic will likely cost upwards of 800 bucks retail on release. Would you pay that for a phone?

I am honestly, myself, caught between a rock and a hard place. I am just test driving the Evo3d. I love this phone way more than my Tbolt. I love Verizon way more than Sprint. asjfkojdsafklsadfj shoot me. I have a few weeks left to decide...I know the ins and outs of both companies. It is more of, do I NEED LTE? can I handle a slower network? But then...that poses...why not just get something like the Droid 3 when it releases or grab the X2? I hate being such a numbers nut, I just don't know where my importance lies now. Someone either talk me out of the 3d or into the tbolt. Feel free. Make a decision for me

Upvote 0
If internet browsing is important to you, you will be in for a nasty shock when you browse on Sprint (I'm assuming you have 4G service--If you don't, you'll still be in for a shock). Sprint does not have a strong 3G network, and their 4G network tends to have gaps in coverage and not penetrate buildings well. And there's no guarantee that Sprint won't go to some kind of bandwidth limits, though I do agree that they'll really try not to do that.

From what I can tell, you aren't happy with the phones Verizon is getting lately (I subscribe to the paranoid theory that they are holding back on the good phones till the get the bandwidth limits on browsing in place), and you are suspicious that you'll eventually be placed on the 2 gig plan. But other than that, if you indicated any other dissatisfaction with Verizon, I missed it.

Sounds like Verizon will be having a few decent phones come out in Summer and Fall, I'd wait it out if I were you. Or you could always go iPhone 4S! :) (just kidding)

Upvote 0
If internet browsing is important to you, you will be in for a nasty shock when you browse on Sprint (I'm assuming you have 4G service--If you don't, you'll still be in for a shock). Sprint does not have a strong 3G network, and their 4G network tends to have gaps in coverage and not penetrate buildings well. And there's no guarantee that Sprint won't go to some kind of bandwidth limits, though I do agree that they'll really try not to do that.

From what I can tell, you aren't happy with the phones Verizon is getting lately (I subscribe to the paranoid theory that they are holding back on the good phones till the get the bandwidth limits on browsing in place), and you are suspicious that you'll eventually be placed on the 2 gig plan. But other than that, if you indicated any other dissatisfaction with Verizon, I missed it.

Sounds like Verizon will be having a few decent phones come out in Summer and Fall, I'd wait it out if I were you. Or you could always go iPhone 4S! :) (just kidding)

verizon 3g and sprint 3g both suck balls, sprints 4g is just fine, yes there are dead spots but in a well covered area you should not have to worry that much. Anyone will be lucky to break a 1mb under heavy usage hours on both and when there is less network traffic I have hit 2.5mb on my sprint phone too but it goes down under a meg during heavy traffic hours.

Try thunderbolt at my house or around my area, my friend has it and it drops every 3 seconds. He has called verizon 5 times already with no resolution. It is suppose to be well covered area but verizon has their own issue with LTE. They do have dead spots too.

Upvote 0
Be certain that you are in a strong sprint coverage area before you switch. The coverage dropped considerably a few months ago. It now barely works at all in my town. I don't recommend sprint anymore to anyone that asks.

I actually learned where the sprint towers were and if I have something I need to do on the phone I go sit by one to do it. Isn't that horrible?

Upvote 0
If I have a family plan, is there any way to use this to cancel just one line? (not the primary line.) And if so, would I be able to add another line like a day later and get a new 4g phone with it?

As long as you pay the ETF, it shouldn't be a problem.

And as far as coverage goes, it's fine here. I live in Winston-Salem, NC. In the neighboring towns, where family lives, it seems to be horrid. Guess I will just enjoy this 3d a few more days then take it back...and pray for a Bionic release date =/.

Throughout the day I was hitting 5mb on the 4g. 3g, was bad. I tried all the tricks but it was still slow as molasses. But my question is...is the fast speeds all that necessary? I mean, 80% of the day I am on WiFi. But..I did do something I didn't do on Verizon in 7 years; dropped a call. I kind of just looked at the phone with the ol' deer in the headlights face...

But yea, Verizon probably is just holding out for their caps. Damn crooks! Haha.

Upvote 0
Every phone and carrier has its niggles. Unless you live in a particularly weak verizon area or strong sprint area you are unlikely to see better cellar service with sprint (can't comment on customer care aspect :) ). Can't comment further on that aspect since you didn't provide your exact location.
-
With regards to the phone the evo3d has lots of niggles. Cannot comment if you will find them more or less annoying than the TB as it becomes a personal thing. From the threads a few folks have random reboot or crashing apps (can't comment if this will happen to you because it depends how you use the phone). The evo3d has a very sensitive power button; if you like to jam it in tight places this might be an issue for you. The evo3d ....
-
These comments are not intended to suggest I think the evo3d is a bad phone; or if you had no phone that I would recommned the TB over the Evo3d. Rather I'm merely trying to point out that pretty much every smart phone has its unique annoyances and it is not easy to predict which set of annoyances will bother a particular (unknown) person.
-
Beyond that as others have said switch carries without checking if the new carrier will solve a specific set of issues is likely throwing money down the drain. Find some local folks with sprint and have a chat....

(In boston it always annoy me that folks with verizon and at&t can use their phone in the subway while my sprint phone looses the signal :( )

I currently have a HTC Thunderbolt and have been considering getting the EVO 3D. Overall I'm pretty happy with the TB but a few things such as cell phone reception, random reboots, and a lack of an HDMI port has made me consider the EVO 3D. Is there anyone who could give me any advice on this? Especially TB users who switched to the EVO 3D. Are there not as many differences between the EVO 3D and the TB as I expect?

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
I agree that it depends on location and service and what features are most important to you. I live in the Nashville TN area and have excellent service and 4G. No complaints here. Also have found customer service to be exellent. I also am simply in love with the EVO 3D so far. I haven't had any problems. Verizon has great service here as well according to some people I know who use them, but they do not like the customer service so much and are leery of the data caps. I guess the best thing to do would be to talk to Sprint customers, maybe give Sprint a try for 30 days if you receive positive feedback, and take it from there.

Upvote 0
If you live in nashville the sprint store across the street from Vanderbilt (21st avenue) is the best. Very helpful and knowledgeable folks there; though traffic is a bit of a pain :)
-
Also Nashville tends to have very good coverage. I think sprint was one of the earlier providers to region.
-
In the Northeast (esp north of Boston into New Hampsire/Vermont) verizon tends to have the best coverage; in Boston and South sprint tends to be fine.
-
Naturally Sprint has very good service in Kansas City...
-

I agree that it depends on location and service and what features are most important to you. I live in the Nashville TN area and have excellent service and 4G. No complaints here. Also have found customer service to be exellent. I also am simply in love with the EVO 3D so far. I haven't had any problems. Verizon has great service here as well according to some people I know who use them, but they do not like the customer service so much and are leery of the data caps. I guess the best thing to do would be to talk to Sprint customers, maybe give Sprint a try for 30 days if you receive positive feedback, and take it from there.

Upvote 0
If you live in nashville the sprint store across the street from Vanderbilt (21st avenue) is the best. Very helpful and knowledgeable folks there; though traffic is a bit of a pain :)
-
Also Nashville tends to have very good coverage. I think sprint was one of the earlier providers to region.
-
In the Northeast (esp north of Boston into New Hampsire/Vermont) verizon tends to have the best coverage; in Boston and South sprint tends to be fine.
-
Naturally Sprint has very good service in Kansas City...
-

I am familiar with that location and agree...the traffic there is a pain but the service is fantastic!

Upvote 0
I've got the EVO 4G...I'm running a Sense 3 Rom (looks like the EVO 3D)...

I can get that $150 buyback credit, so the EVO 3D will only cost me $50 bucks. Also, with my account, I get a new upgrade every 12 months...

I don't know whats coming out in the next year or so (iPhone on Sprint? / Galaxy S2? / Others...)...should I wait or pickup the 3D or hang on to my 4G?

Upvote 0
Yeah. The other thing I'm thinking, is by not getting another phone now...I'm delaying an upgrade for no reason.

If a phone does come out that I want in 6 months, then I'll be able to get it in 12 months from now.

So, 6 more months with the EVO 4G or 12 more months with the 3D.

I also see signal quality is a bit better on the 3D, which might be the strongest case for me to upgrade...that and the better quality display.

Upvote 0
I was in exactly the same boat a few days ago. I looked at the Evo 3D and decided I don't care about the 3D capabilities (I had a bit of trouble focusing on anything 3d anyway). I played with the phone and did a bit of research more to discover the great benefits of this over the EVO 4G and decided for $50, why not give it a shot.

I'm glad I did. Everything about this phone (in my opinion) is better. Feels better, runs better and I haven't charged the thing yet since I got it (where I would have charged my EVO 4G at least 2-3 times by now).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones