1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Should I get an iPad 3?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by ZingXao, Apr 3, 2012.

1. ZingXao

ZingXao Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 11, 2011
    or are there any android tablets that are comparable to them? i like the idea of an ipad 3, cuz then i could just sync all my music from my mac to the ipad, and then use iwork and stuff on it when am in university.

what android alternatives are there?

Advertisement

2. valorian

valorian Android Expert
    None

Feb 15, 2011
    Male
    Northern Illinois
    Here is a comparison that was posted on Phandroid a while back. See if this helps.

[​IMG]

RavinGill and ZingXao like this.
  3. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor
    None

Honestly, I'd go Note 10.1 just for the SPen and the two apps at the same time on the screen feature.

SugarSync also works like iCloud with far larger storage, so you won't be missing anything except a number of games and apps (like instagram), and the crisp screen.

4. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy
    None

May 10, 2011
    Male
    I fix stuff
    Over there <points>
    I don't know about the screen argument. I thought the Note I was playing with had a pretty nice screen. SAMOLED screens seem just as good as retina screens to me.

Mostly Harmless likes this.
  5. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor
    None

Its sharper. The difference may not be as prominent as the difference between an 800x600 resolution and a 1200x900, but its there. SAMOLEDs shouldn't be compared to retina screens because its and entirely different category. SAMOLEDs are a type of screen. You can make a Retina SAMOLED screen if you want. Retina screen is basically a screen resolution that exceeds the capacity of your retina (differs depending on distance from screen), thereby the individual pixels are invisible to the eye and you view everything as one smooth image, all lines. Its sort of like the difference between a bitmap image and a vector image.

jerofld likes this.
  6. Ngo93

Ngo93 Android Enthusiast
    None

Depends, do you like iOS? If you have no problem with it and it meets your needs, go for it.

7. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    I think if one has a Mac, evidently the OP does, then an iPad is probably ideal tablet and most suited for it. Especially if one is using iWork.

8. bigdrew

bigdrew Member
    None

Sep 18, 2011
    Connecticut USA
    Retina Display is a trademark owned by Apple for marketing. It's twice the resolution of the iphone 3gs. It's not in any way related to the detail that a human eye can distinguish; in fact, there's no anatomical evidence supporting Apple's claim. Rather, it was chosen purposely to allow apps to easily upscale to a higher resolution.

At 316PPI, the galaxy nexus comes close, despite arguements over the subpixel arrangement. And the Rezound's IPS screen exceeds the Retina Display in PPI, but you won't find the term "retina" anywhere, at least from HTC, because you can't legally have a "Retina " display if you aren't Apple.

jerofld likes this.
  9. Mostly Harmless

Mostly Harmless Android Expert
    None

Apr 15, 2010
    Engineer
    New York
    For alternatives:
    iTunes-Google music. You can sync between your phone/tablet/computer pretty easily. Also all your music is available to you from any web enabled computer. So if you are at school in the library working on the computer just bring up google music and listen from there, no need to go to an external device.

iWorks-Google Documents. Same with google docs. Available to you anywhere as long as you can get on a computer.

If you are running all mac stuff then the iPad 3 isn't a bad choice but you certainly do have options. I like accessing my stuff from anywhere I need which is why I enjoy google stuff so much. Took a trip to my cousins house last year and was able to bring my entire music library just by signing in. It's neat stuff.

10. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    I done a similar thing as well back in January, spent three weeks at a friend's house. All my media is on a USB hard drive. No internet access was available, except for slow CDMA wireless(dial-up speed), couldn't stream anything. But it's nice to have all of one's music, movies, etc, available though.

11. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor
    None

Retina Display is just a name. The HTC Rezound has a greater pixel density than the iPhone 4S for example having 342PPI. But the point of the screen pixel density is the same: That the human eye is claimed to be unable to distinguish the individual pixels. Anyway, retina display has become the unofficial term for such hi-res screens with over 300PPI anyway.

I simple meant that you can make a SAMOLED version of a screen with the same or greater pixel density of the 4S, like the one on the Rezound.

12. ZingXao

None

Mar 11, 2011
    Yeah, well, my reasoning for getting an iPad is that it would go hand in hand with my Mac.

However, since owning a (good) Android phone, I feel that Android is a more capable system than iOS. Then again, I've read that Honeycomb ain't so good, especially compared to the iPad, even the second gen version.

I love my Mac. I have it since I do a lot of graphic work. I like Windows. I like Linux, even though I never learnt the commands, it's still a good OS.

I'd want to use a tablet for Word processing, I use Office on my Mac currently. Also, I'd want music on it, and I've read you can sync iTunes with Android via Winamp? And finally, I'd like to have Photoshop Touch, for on the go image editing.

I've looked at the Samsung Galaxy Tab for

13. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor
    None

Of the current crop of Android tablets, only the Transformer Prime probably is comparable to the new iPad. You'll have to wait for the second gen Samsung Galaxy Tabs and Note 10.1 and the new Toshiba tablet to get other choices.

14. ZingXao

None

Mar 11, 2011
    How about tethering?

Also there's more Adobe apps for Android tablets?

15. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery
    None

Jan 20, 2010
    Where the Sakura grows

16. VincentAnoid

VincentAnoid Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 6, 2012
    Galaxy Nexus doesn't come close? Galaxy Nexus already has. Just look at the current iPad 3's resolution, 264 ppi and they're calling it a retina display. So if this is the case, the retina display seems to have lowered its standards. Distance doesn't matter, I like to hold tablets right up to my face :p

17. funpig

funpig Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 29, 2010
    If you already have a Mac, it seems logical to get a tablet which will play nice with that OS. Another thing to consider is whether you foresee any uses related to your university. With the dominance of Apple, the fact is that large institutions or enterprises will usually develop an apple app before an android app. You may find that with an Android, you may be left wanting or scrambling for a workaround. For example, Apple is trying to position itself to sell textbooks on the iPad.

18. wxman2003

wxman2003 Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 2, 2010
    I have the iPad 2, iMac and atv3 and all work together seamlessly for streaming between devices, transferring data, pictures, music etc. I had the iPhone 4 but got fed up with the very poor 3G service in my area and got the razor maxx since 4G is much better where I live. Android devices are more powerful than any apple device, but for easy integration on the same platform, iOS still is the best IMO.

19. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor
    None

"Retina Display" did not lower its standards. A phone with 264ppi is not retina display, but a tablet with that is. Because a tablet held at half to 3/4 arm's length from the face needs only that ppi to have the same crispness in its display as a phone with over 300ppi. Retina display is not a fixed ppi, its variable depending on how far you hold it from your eyes.

20. VincentAnoid

None

Jan 6, 2012
    Yeah I know xD I said distance doesn't matter and I like to hold tablets right up to my face #sarcasm

21. VincentAnoid

None

Jan 6, 2012
    The retina display trademark is just like Samsung's Super Amoled trademark. What difference is there in 'Super' from the amoled other than ppi densities

22. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor
    None

Actually, SuperAMOLED vs AMOLED is not PPI densities. SuperAMOLED uses a different LEDs which are brighter, the screen layers are treated differently to get less reflective, and its actually using less power than traditional AMOLED.

Retina screen is basically just PPI.

23. teh.brandon

None

Sep 10, 2010
    I love my ipad 3 but only got it because it was give to me.

24. HamptonCaught

HamptonCaught Member
    None

Mar 27, 2012
    Designer
    Cambridge, UK
    I have to say, the iPad 3 is a thing of utter beauty.