• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Should I get Captivate Glide or Galaxy SIII

I've typed on my dad's Galaxy SII before and I really suck badly at it, so I'm thinking about going with a slider phone.

Obviously, the SIII has better hardware (1.5Ghz instead of 1GHz, 2GB RAM instead of 1GB, 16GB flash vs. 8GB, 720p screen resolution vs. 480p, 1080p video vs. 720p, slower camera) but I think all of these can be absorbed by the $150 saved by going with the Captive Glide.

On the other hand, I live in an area that supports 4G LTE and I've seen reports that its much faster (around an order of magnitude) than the slower 4G standard that the Glide supports. My friend told me, though, that he turns off 4G anyway to preserve battery life.

I've also seen a lot of reports on the web that the Glide battery life is short.

The real decision factors are battery life, typing comfort and Internet speed IMO.

I've never had a smartphone. Given these criteria can you please tell me which one of the phones you recommend?

Thanks

That's a tough question. I use a GSIII and my wife uses a Sidekick 4g because she likes the keyboard. You really need to try typing on both to decide. I'm not very knowledgeable about phones, but I just got a GSIII and love it.

A few points I'd suggest to keep in mind are:

1) The GSIII has a huge battery, so I doubt you will need to turn the 4g feature off to reduce your power usage. Usually I just plug mine in at night and get a full day's usage. If I'm going somewhere, I have a spare power cable in my glovebox.

2) The GSIII has a larger screen than the GSII, so typing may be easier, but you'll have to try one to find out. I found that while the slide-out keyboard is nice, the virtual one works just fine. I have friends who are heavy-duty texters and they rely on virtual keyboards.

3) It's not just a case of 1.5Ghz vs. 1Ghz when comparing processors. The U.S. version of the GSIII uses the Qualcomm S4 processor. It is based on a more advanced architecture, so the advantage over other processors isn't just a matter of comparing the clock speeds. My HTC Sensation had a 1.2 GHz Qualcomm S3 processor, so I have a 0.3 Ghz increase in clock speed. Doesn't sound like much, but if you put the two side-by-side, the GSIII is much faster. Look up benchmark values for the two processors that you're comparing and you'll see what I mean. (If you want more info on the GSIII chip, look up "Qualcomm" and "Krait", which is the code-word for the architecture.)

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

:)

Joe

I've typed on my dad's Galaxy SII before and I really suck badly at it, so I'm thinking about going with a slider phone.

Obviously, the SIII has better hardware (1.5Ghz instead of 1GHz, 2GB RAM instead of 1GB, 16GB flash vs. 8GB, 720p screen resolution vs. 480p, 1080p video vs. 720p, slower camera) but I think all of these can be absorbed by the $150 saved by going with the Captive Glide.

On the other hand, I live in an area that supports 4G LTE and I've seen reports that its much faster (around an order of magnitude) than the slower 4G standard that the Glide supports. My friend told me, though, that he turns off 4G anyway to preserve battery life.

I've also seen a lot of reports on the web that the Glide battery life is short.

The real decision factors are battery life, typing comfort and Internet speed IMO.

I've never had a smartphone. Given these criteria can you please tell me which one of the phones you recommend?

Thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones