• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Should i get the Hero?

eldroid

Lurker
Aug 1, 2010
For the past few months I've had my heart set on the Hero being my first smartphone. This largely had to do with the fact it was on sale for 250 pounds (a bit out of my budget) at amazon. However that price jumped to the legend's price for some odd reason and I've been waiting for it to fall back to it's initial price since. This doesn't seem to be happening as it's settled to about 290 pounds right now. Cheapest i can find one now is 260 pounds.

However, just the day before, I discovered the Acer Liquid A1. I can get a brand new one in black for just 211 pounds, and it seems to be quite a good device. Price is a huge factor for me, and I'm not really seeing any reason now to go for the Hero aside from the Sense UI and the better build quality I suppose. So what do you guys reckon? Save a bit more and go for the Hero or just go ahead and get the Liquid?

Before I found out about the Acer Liquid i was considering the Wildfire as well. It seems to go for around 220-230 pounds and I fail to see any reason why I would possibly go for this one over the Liquid.

@Jaseamondo, i don't particularly love Htc phones. I just thought the Hero seemed to be a pretty good phone that I could stretch my budget for.

Upvote 0
The acer looks like a cracking little phone m8, It's actually running an underclocked snapdragon processor(I did a little bit of googling) so it would be a good phone if you decide to root it at a later date and use a custom rom, I think its also due to get an official 2.1 update very soon (apparently). I think on specs alone it pips the Hero so if it's the phone you like and its within your budget I'd go for it.

Upvote 0
As far as i know, 2.1's already out for it. Advantages to rooting would just be the ability to install custom rom's right? There seems to be enough going on at xda and modaco.

I just meant in comparison to the more popular phones, but yeah installing a custom rom would be the only way to get full use of the underclocked snapdragon processor.(I think its 2.0 at the moment but 2.1 is imminent)

EDIT Sorry 2.1 rom is available via there support website

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones