• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Should I get the nook color?

Its not gonna be the best option for gaming and super smooth browsing. It is the cheaper alternative that saves you some money.

[Video] 20+ of the best android games on the Nook Color - xda-developers

Check that link out, it has a video of a lot of games being played. All on CM7, depending on the ROM/Android version you go with, yiour results will vary. You can see from that vid that the majority of current games are pretty smooth, still a bit jittery here and there.

You can always buy one, root it, test it, and if you dont like it, return it.

Upvote 0
Im running Customized Nookie Froyo 0.6.8 CWR for eMMC and I am shocked how well the Nook Color works as a tablet. I haven't even overclocked it at all and I find the performance great, the amount of apps that run on it with no problem (including games), and even the battery life on it is amazing.

My only complaint is that scrolling/zooming on the built in browser could be a bit smoother, but over all no big deal.

Upvote 0
Its not gonna be the best option for gaming and super smooth browsing. It is the cheaper alternative that saves you some money.

[Video] 20+ of the best android games on the Nook Color - xda-developers

Check that link out, it has a video of a lot of games being played. All on CM7, depending on the ROM/Android version you go with, yiour results will vary. You can see from that vid that the majority of current games are pretty smooth, still a bit jittery here and there.

You can always buy one, root it, test it, and if you dont like it, return it.

That video is awesome, I haven't even heard of half of those games. I immediately downloaded all of them (at least the free / lite edition ones)

I noticed a couple don't take up the full screen on my Nook - ToonWarz comes to mind immediately, but there were a few others. A handful of apps have done the same thing - is this a known issue, or are there any workarounds? They seem to be playing in full screen on the video!

I'm on Phiremod 5.3

Reactions: gbeardmore
Upvote 0
In Spare Parts turn off "compatbility mode" and restart. That should take care of apps not launching full screen.

I tried this for that Spiderman HD game that refused to use the whole screen... didn work... I'm trying it again tho to see if maybe I missed something.

Edit- the intro played full screen but the game itself didn't. Sucks, Game looked real cool.

Upvote 0
That video is awesome, I haven't even heard of half of those games. I immediately downloaded all of them (at least the free / lite edition ones)

I noticed a couple don't take up the full screen on my Nook - ToonWarz comes to mind immediately, but there were a few others. A handful of apps have done the same thing - is this a known issue, or are there any workarounds? They seem to be playing in full screen on the video!

I'm on Phiremod 5.3
RC4 changes the screen parameters to something other than the default 160. This causes some app incompatibility.

I don't know why the devs changed it, but do know it was for a reason.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones