• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Should I get the Samsung Fascinate?

It depends on what you want. I'm not very familiar with all the different flavors of Android phones - I had an LG Vortex before I got my Fascinate. I decided on the SF because my son and one of my coworkers both have one, and they liked theirs. There's always plenty of horror stories, but any time you're dealing with a mass-produced product you're going to have some bad ones.

The SF does have a completely touch screen - no physical keyboard. And it can activate an app with the lightest of touches! (I'm thinking I'm done and I set my phone down - only to hear music playing because my finger brushed the Pandora app as I set it down!)

Make sure it's got the latest system _before_ you get it (unless you're going to root and you don't care). Mine still has 2.1, and the 2.2 update keeps crashing. The pohone still works great, though.

I'm not into all the social media stuff that the Fascinate does so well, so I'm not using this phone to its full potential at all. But for the use I do make of it (mostly apps and internet, hardly any actual phone use!), it's a great piece of equipment. I like the large and crisp display. And the camera (still and video) are pretty good.

At least, that's my experiences.
Ed

Upvote 0
I like the Fascinate for the following reasons:

Large Super AMOLED screen - good contrast for pix,video, games and seeing in daylight
Lightweight for its' size in the pocket
Good specs for the price (1 Ghz processor)
One of the least radiation emissions (check out I-phone - the pits)
Gorilla glass doesn't scratch easily
Large removable SD card - don't need to take battery out to do it
SWYPE!
decent battery life

Cons:
already out of date!
Bloatware
Bing
back scratches easily
5 mp camera is ok, but 8mp would be better (good pix though)

Upvote 0
The truth is I think the phone is crap.
The biggest problem to me is the GPS. For the most part it works but should I really spend $$ on a phone and have to fight with it to work?

No ... your *opinion* is "the phone is crap". And you cite one issue. And you give no details about where you live, what apps you're using, how your phone is set up. Maybe some combination of those is keeping you from getting the most from your phone.

What about the rest of the features? If all you really want is a GPS, sell your Fascinate to the OP and go get a Garmin.

Ed

Upvote 0
I like my fascinate alot the only problem is big v is getting ready to send this phone out to pasture ...but that is only because they want tm move more newer phone. Hardware wise this phone is top notch. The only real problem is the gps It CAN hit or miss but not all ways I have only had one or two times that it didn't work.

But yes this is a good phone and if you into rooting this can be a great phone. But if you don't mind that this phone may soon be out to pasture then go for it you really can't beat the price.

And I have recamended this phone to my wife nephew sister and brother inlaw and they like there's as well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones