• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Should I get this phone?

Voltex

Nov 20, 2011
I'm planning on purchasing a smartphone (not one of those super expensive ones) and this one caught my eye, along with the Samsung Galaxy Ace. I have a few questions for you guys:

How's the availability of apps for this phone? This phone can pretty much download and run any Android app right?

Does Motoblur completely change the UI? Is there a way to disable Motoblur?

How's the screen resolution? I know the Galaxy Ace's resolution is pretty bad; is this a lot better compared to that phone?

How well does this phone respond to taps? I plan on texting a lot with this phone, so having a responsive touchscreen is key.

Are there any significant cons to this phone?

Thanks,

Voltex

I'm planning on purchasing a smartphone (not one of those super expensive ones) and this one caught my eye, along with the Samsung Galaxy Ace. I have a few questions for you guys:

How's the availability of apps for this phone? This phone can pretty much download and run any Android app right?

How's the screen resolution? I know the Galaxy Ace's resolution is pretty bad; is this a lot better compared to that phone?

How well does this phone respond to taps? I plan on texting a lot with this phone, so having a responsive touchscreen is key.

Thanks,

Voltex

the resolution on this phone is superior to many phones alot more expensive than this one espcially its ppi. the texting is brilliant primarily as it has swype installed which allows you to just tap the first letter, then swype your finger across the rest of the letters in the word. you cant specifically disable motoblur but its fairly easy to flash a custom rom to and almost unbrickable thanks to its locked bootloader which many see is a bad point but it has saved me more than once. you should get this phone

Upvote 0

Thanks,

Voltex

I am very happy about my phone, specially after I installed CyanogenMod on it. Motoblur is ok, you will get use to it, but if you dont like it I will recommend you to install CyanogenMod. It is fast with no lag at all + the phone can hold up the battery for 2 days.
The internal memory is on 1.24GB, and leaves you with more than 1GB to apps with the ROM installed. That is more than enough memory for normal use, specially if you compare it to the HTC desire.

The screen is good for a midrange phone, though it could be brighter in sunlight (same goes for all other midrange phones). The resolution is 480 x 854 pixels compared to the Ace (320 x 480). That is 2.67 times the resolution.

Another good thing it is IP67 certified, which means it is dust and waterproof.

You should of course go for the Defy+ which is an update of the defy.

Upvote 0
It's a great phone. Just watch out for earpiece failure, caused mainly by repeated usage of the headphone jack (the nearby earpiece is a bit flimsy). They get repaired for free under warranty. I don't know if Defy + has the same fault. I still love this phone, mine is rooted / overclocked / custom volted / great apps etc etc. I may look at other android but even with this repair, still leaps ahead of my ipod touch*. Such a shame that my faovourite phone ever has had this fault.

*ok so it's not a phone but iOS is like fisher-price, they've designed it to be patronisingly simple, I do not go to pubs to drink from a plastic beaker!

Upvote 0
Had mine since they became avail in us, t-mo branded. No troubles. But... what network are you on? If t-mo you must get a phone that will use 1700 frequency to get 3G. From what I read, however, the t-mo version also works on at&t, but would check that. If you get a non- t-mo usa phone not sure it will work on any us carriers. There is, apparently. a Defy + version that is avail with at&t 3G frequencies, but not t-mo. All will work on "standard" 2100.

Upvote 0
I am very happy about my phone, specially after I installed CyanogenMod on it. Motoblur is ok, you will get use to it, but if you dont like it I will recommend you to install CyanogenMod. It is fast with no lag at all + the phone can hold up the battery for 2 days.
The internal memory is on 1.24GB, and leaves you with more than 1GB to apps with the ROM installed. That is more than enough memory for normal use, specially if you compare it to the HTC desire.

The screen is good for a midrange phone, though it could be brighter in sunlight (same goes for all other midrange phones). The resolution is 480 x 854 pixels compared to the Ace (320 x 480). That is 2.67 times the resolution.

Another good thing it is IP67 certified, which means it is dust and waterproof.

You should of course go for the Defy+ which is an update of the defy.

how do u manage 2 days battery??

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones