1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Should I get this?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ZingXao, May 26, 2011.

1. ZingXao

ZingXao Well-Known Member

I'm 21 in a couple of months, wanting to get an Android tablet.

Been looking at this, the Samsung Galaxy 8.9 (seems a bit expensive, but at the same time, quite compact), and the HTC Flyer (it seems like a big phone, especially using Gingerbread).

Out of them, for the price, and the spec, the Transformer seems the best. Plus I have an LG Optimus One, so it would be awesome owning an Optimus and a Transformer, lol.

So, is this tablet good? Should I go for this one?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. mihaelb

mihaelb Well-Known Member

I prefer it over the Xoom, as that one felt heavy and big (although they are nearly identical), plus it cost a lot more.
    I also prefer it over the Samsung products, as I think the textured back looks more expensive than shiny plastic (and it's less-likely to slip and fall). Other than the plastic, I think all honeycomb devices currently out are nearly-identical, and it's more a preference as to appearance and size.
    Never used the flyer, and even though HTC generally make great devices, I think that Honeycomb on a tablet is just a better choice than an augmented phone O/S, so I wouldn't get it.

3. ZingXao

How about the size of it? The reason am tempted to get the Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 is because it seems like a good size... not too big, and not too small.

But then again I've only tried an iPad once and that size seemed fine. I dunno whether the ASUS would be a bit on the large side?

4. mbob63

mbob63 Member

My TF is a quality piece of hardware. It works better than I anticipated after reading all the reviews. I'm very happy with it overall. The TF might be on the large size for you. The screen size is great but it can get awkward and heavy after extended couch surfing sessions. Do you want screen size or mobility?

5. ZingXao

Lol, that's the problem, I can't decide. I mean, I'd be using it in the house for web browsing, occasional, light gaming (Fruit Ninja, Angry Birds etc.), maybe a video or two, and MAYBE some music. Then in university, I'd use it to take notes. It's when am on the train or something... I've seen a couple of people on the train using their iPad and stuff... but, even that seems a bit big. I can't decide on mobility or a nice big screen.

6. boharris

boharris Newbie

Yeah it boils down to how you most will use it, for me it's primarily used as an e-reader and couch surfing and I love this freaking thing can't stop using it! I so love being able to use it as a netbook when I need to and then pop it out and use as a tablet. Best money I ever spent! Get it you won't regret it (unless mobility is your primary usage scenario)

7. mihaelb

mihaelb Well-Known Member

Although holding this with one hand for extended periods of time is not comfortable in landscape mode, it's a lot better in portrait mode, if it makes your decision easier.

The upcoming Samsung tab 10.1 is supposedly a lot easier to hold for extended periods with one hand (at least according to a review I watched on Youtube). that being said, I doubt it'll be $400 and who knows when and if it will have the cool keyboard dock that the TF does.

I say that unless you want to always hold the tablet up in the air with one hand, go for this. it's small-enough for almost any situation except the aforementioned. When you need to take notes with it (eg in school), you take the keyboard dock with you, when you don't, the unit becomes half-size when you take just the tablet portion. very flexible.

8. clgwli

clgwli Well-Known Member

I have to agree with all written here. I use mine a lot in both tablet and 'netbook' form. In tablet I do well as long as I don't have to hold it up in the air. I love the way this one is after I have played with many other tablets. I personally prefer the extra inch or two this one has over most of the others. The docking station just sets this way above all others IMO. The quickness and screen are fantastic but the keyboard rocks this!

9. boharris

boharris Newbie

I also noticed that I have started using the dock a lot more since I got a usb wireless mouse with it . Love it love it love it!

ASUS Eee Pad Transformer Forum

The ASUS Eee Pad Transformer release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 10.1" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, and Nvidia Tegra 2 T20 processor.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews