1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Should I go for the Desire or the Desire HD?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by chitchatjjj, Mar 2, 2011.

1. chitchatjjj

chitchatjjj Member
    None

Feb 7, 2011
    I am gonna buy a new phone soon and after a lot of research, I decided upon the Desire. But the HD is also in my price range, so should I get it or stick with the original? The Desire appeals to me because it's compact. Not too heavy, pocket friendly. Is the HD too bulky because of the 4" screen? And regarding battery life, I know the HD is on the downside, but I hear gingerbread will bring along better battery life. So should I get the beefed up HD or the original Desire?
    Also, how is the video playback quality on both phones? Comparable with an Apple iPod Touch? Thanks.

Advertisement

2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra=
    None

HD, hands down, if you have that choice. It's reviews look very good when comparing.

3. tomothy94

tomothy94 Newbie
    None

Jan 4, 2011
    i would go with the HD becauswe of the camera, but i do find it is too bulky :/ but if i owned one i would probably get used to it :)

4. LECTER

LECTER Android Expert
    None

Jul 27, 2010
    Entrepreneur
    Over the hill and through the woods
    Honestly don't think GB will bring that much of a battery life improvement to be quite honest.

The Desire is perfect, size wise.

5. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra=
    None

By the way, here in the Desire forum you might get a lot more votes for the Desire by the end of the day. ;)

For opinions from the other side, post your question here:

HTC Desire HD - Android Forums

6. The Great One

The Great One Member
    None

Aug 7, 2010
    Heaven
    HTC Desire is better than the Desire HD.
    First thing, the screen looks sharper and brighter on the Desire, but I believe Desire HD is better in sunny environments. The Desire HD is very bulky. Sometimes I find the Desire itself quite bulky, but Desire HD is like some sort of mini tablet.

Video quality is quite good, it displays everything quite well. Maybe Desire HD wins that one but there's a very small difference.

Desire's main disadvantage is the internal storage. You do get a free 4GB/8GB SD card with it, but you might have issues with internal storage but I'm sure you can expect this problem with any of HTC's products with no big internal memory.

Desire HD has a better camera obviously cause it's 8MP but the Desire also provides very good shots (and even better quality shots if you take the back cover off). Not any colour loss or grainy images, but the Desire HD has the advantage of a better camera and so better images can be expected.

On the whole, the Desire is the better phone to be honest. Desire HD is great, but Desire is better.

chitchatjjj likes this.
  7. rtb35

rtb35 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 2, 2010
    or you could wait a month for the Desire S.

8. ksavai

ksavai Member
    None

Feb 23, 2011
    I was in same phase month ago and I decided to go for Desire HD but when I went to shop it looked me bulky so I got Desire. So I think no one can help you. You have to decide what is good for you.
    Or as someone said you can wait for Desire S.

9. BurnCK

BurnCK Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 18, 2010
    SQL Analyst
    Manchester, UK
    Or you could get the HTC Incredible S which is comparable in spec (if not slightly better from what I can see) to the Desire S but has a 4" screen instead of 3.7". I always found the Desire HD a bit too big with its 4.3" screen.

Plus they are available now.

10. Lord Doom

Lord Doom Member
    None

Feb 27, 2011
    Student
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I have used both a Desire HD and I own a desire as my main handset.

It's all down to preference. For me, I prefer the Desire. It has better looks and physical buttons on the bottom so that you don't accidentally end up calling someone.

The biggest differance between the Desire and the Desire HD, is the Desire has a better screen. More vibrant, beautiful colours and sharpness compared to the HD. The HD's colours look washed out and pale.

11. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Android Expert
    None

Sep 11, 2009
    UK
    id wait as there are uprated models coming out in the next month or so it seems

12. veruska76

veruska76 Lurker
    None

Mar 3, 2011
    I am not having very good signal on HTC desire HD ???anybody can help???My signal is very poor I with network THREE.Thanks

13. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Android Expert
    None

Sep 11, 2009
    UK
  14. widehead

widehead Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 19, 2010
    Educator
    Get the HD. I have both and whilst the screen looks more vibrant on the original Desire this difference is essentially irrelevant unless you plan on having both, running them side by side and making comparisons.

The deal-breaker is the camera. If you intend to capture multimedia the original Desire cannot compete with the HD.

15. Juint

Juint Member
    None

Sep 16, 2010
    I sold my desire to get the desire HD.

Things that the desire does better then the DHD:
    -LED Placement, the LED is much more noticeable on the desire as it is surrounded by black plastic, providing good contrast. The LED on DHD is less noticeable as it is behind the speaker grill
    -Optical track pad, one thing that I really miss is the optical track pad
    -The back of the Desire had a nice rubbery feeling, the DHD has great build quality with the aluminum, but it can feel very slick

Things the DHD does better:
    -Most surprisingly, battery life, I use the exact same settings on my DHD as I did with my desire, and I get better battery life out of the DHD
    -Faster data speeds
    -More ram, new generation snap dragon processor makes this phone feel much snappier then the desire
    -I seem to get better reception as well on the DHD as opposed to the desire
    -Better Camera

chitchatjjj and amit_eighty8 like this.
Tags: