1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Should i install a custom ROM

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Valiceemo, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Valiceemo

Valiceemo Guest
    None
    As new android user still very much in the learning phase i am undecided as to wher i should go for a custom ROM.

As a new user is it really worth me doing this?

What major benefits would i see / gain?

Advertisement

2. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member
    None

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
  3. boathead

boathead Android Enthusiast
    None

May 26, 2013
    kind of hard to say, what with the wealth of info you've provided about your device and version of android.:)

all that can be said for sure is that your operating version will change, for better or for worse. i've ALWAYS run into some bug on a custom rom that "bugs" the %^&% out of me, even if it is a feature that i never use. just that the bug is there, and i know it is there, bothers me.

that said, i'm bored today and am gonna try flashing omni rom on my n7.

beware, i have 2 devices that i've bricked by playing around with stuff that i didn't understand. if your temperament is such that you can handle the anguish that goes with this, have at it!

4. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog
    None

Jun 20, 2011
    The Infernal Swamp
    If your that new to android I would suggest you start by just learning the system your on. Then you can start to explore with different ROMS. Start with the link that Thom gave you and feel free to always ask questions about that which you do not understand.

5. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe
    I agree. Only root when you come across a good reason to do it and then only flash a rom if you arent happy with the stock firmware :thumbup:

6. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Aug 30, 2011
    Male
    Graduate Student
    MN
    It all depends on how comfortable you are with tinkering. The most important thing you can get at this stage is more information. Read the directions for your device multiple times before attempting them, and ask any questions you have. Were here to help :)

I rooted my first android device within about a month of receiving it. Not because I felt like I was missing features but just to see what the possibilities were. Root isn't for everyone, but all my devices have been rooted since.

7. dibblebill

dibblebill Android Expert
    None

Feb 21, 2012
    Male
    Educator
    Raleigh, NC
    My first task when I get a new phone: Google "MANUFACTURER MODEL root" :p Then "MANUFACTURER MODEL ROMs" (i.e. Samsung Galaxy Victory root, then Samsung Galaxy Victory ROMs).

But that's me. Only bother with custom ROMs, as stated, if you don't like your phoen's default features and appearance, really. Rooting should only be done as-needed. I utilize many root-access apps, so not having it is out of the question for me.

dustwun77 likes this.
  8. PaulS

PaulS Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 24, 2013
    Male
    As some of the above and further.I rarely update anything unless I find a function I need works with the update.Some updates I've found to be,"Downgrades" :pcguru:

9. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member
    None

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
    Some of us don't root activated devices because it violates the warranty and if anything goes wrong we might have to replace it at full price.

An un-activated device or one that is out or warranty would not have this issue.

... Thom

10. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    If you really want to play, might I suggest you pick up an older working Android phone cheap from eBay or Craigslist? I'd recommend you look for a model by the same manufacturer as your current phone because even though the specifics will be different, the process will be similar enough to let you know if you want to do it. For example, Samsung's flagship, the S4 is around $520.00 on Amazon while you can pick up an old working Galaxy S for between $50 and $75 depending on the condition. Then you can root and flash and modify without worrying about messing up your current phone.

Once you get a feel for it and are comfortable with the steps and procedures, then you can make an informed decision to root and flash your daily driver.

11. Valiceemo

Valiceemo Guest
    None
    thanks eveyone, some good points.
    i have no problem with tinkering..im a bit of a nerd!

ill have a read through some of the links and see if rooting would give me any real benefit.

Rxpert83, argedion and lunatic59 like this.
  12. dan330

dan330 Extreme Android User
    None

Jan 22, 2010
    if you are new to android..
    each manufacture has their own skin flavor.. and benefits .. advantages and disadvantages...

so I would NOT try ROMs.. till you know what you want .. and not want.