1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Should I keep my Verizon unlimited data plan?

Discussion in 'Verizon' started by ergalthema, Apr 26, 2014.

1. ergalthema

ergalthema Well-Known Member

The last few months, I've used about 3.5GB of data per month. A 4GB plan with unlimited call/text is the same price of my current plan (unlimited data, 450 call/text - which I occasionally exceed).

It sounds like I might not miss my unlimited data. However, if I happened to lose my job or something, I might want to drop my home ISP and just use my Verizon data for a while - which would require more than 4GB/month. Or if I start traveling for work, I might need more than 4GB.

I have a Galaxy Nexus which still does the job, but sometimes it's really slow and frustrating. I'm a pretty heavy user and I think the Galaxy s5 is a good choice for me.

My mom's phone is ready for an upgrade in October. So, one option is to wait for that and use her upgrade to get an S5 for me (and hope she's okay with her S3 for another two years).

Do you have any opinions on this? Basically, should I upgrade and lose my unlimited data, or do whatever it takes to keep my unlimited data?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Extreme Android User

That would depend on how secure your job is, and what the chances are that you'll be required to travel and use data on your dime - and we don't know either of those facts.

If there's a chance that you're going to need unlimited data in the future, keep it for as long as they allow it and put up with the phone for a while. (The industry is going to go one of two ways - either everyone is going to offer unlimited data [don't scoff - unlimited talk was once beyond the realm of the ridiculous] or no one is. Maybe not this year or next year, but eventually.)

3. kate

kate Dreaming of Bugdroid.

I would talk to her first and see what she wants to do with her upgrade. If she's OK with keeping the Galaxy S3 then it could be worthwhile to keep your unlimited.

4. melcher70

melcher70 Newbie

Look on Swappa.com.. maybe consider a gently used phone from last year, and keep your data.

5. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ...eschew obfuscation...

I did the full price purchase of a new phone to keep my unlimited data. If it were me I would fight to keep it.

6. SBCT

SBCT Member

Keep the data! FYI Verizon let me keep my unlimited data and switched my voice/text plan. If your just looking for minutes it might be worth looking at just that option. No new phone obviously....

7. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Extreme Android User
    VIP Member

When I was keeping my unlimited I'd buy phones from Swappa. You can get nice phones in good shape for a decent price, highly recommend looking there.

When Verizon finally matched AT&T's pricing for off-contract folks I did switch, the savings was too great to pass up.

8. Lodingi

Lodingi Well-Known Member

There are ways to upgrade your device & maintain your UDP. The Best Buy method is very popular at the moment. I would not give up my UDP.

9. boatman

boatman Android Enthusiast

what is the 'best buy' method? I am in the same position.

10. Lodingi

Lodingi Well-Known Member