1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Should I pick up an Z5 or a X?

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Mikael Jensen, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Mikael Jensen

Mikael Jensen Lurker
    None

May 24, 2016
    Male
    Hey guys,

I bought a cheap Sony M4 Aqua for a reserve phone, and I got so impressed by it that I want to sell my iPhone 6S and get a better Android phone - possibly a Sony High End.

I looked at the Huawei P9 cus it looks great and apparently has good hardware - but the video camera is not good enough for me.

For someone who doesnt have either a Z5 or a X, which is the better phone for me to get?

Z5/Z5c is 9 months old, and runs on Android 5.0, though its getting Marshmallow updates now.

Xperia X has just come out, but in many reviews I've read, the performance is on par or sometimes a little worse than Z5.

These prices are from Denmark: z5 compact costs: 442 Euro

Z5 costs 537 Euro

Xperia X costs 604 Euro

Which mobile phone is worth it?

I want to take very good pictures, very good videos, and be able to run games without a problem even though I gotta admit I hardly play.

I really wanted a Huawei P9, but the video camera is a no go.

Advertisement

2. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    I'd get the Z5. The Z5 should still get upgrades to the OS for at least 1 year. Right now it's upgradable to Android 6.0. The price difference is big enough to consider it since it also has IP68 certification which the X does not. The performance should be almost at par for most things, with only the selfie camera being the real upgrade IMO.

3. Mikael Jensen

Mikael Jensen Lurker
    None

May 24, 2016
    Male
    I've seen some video recordings of Z5, and coming from a iPhone 6s I gotta say that I am a little dissappointed.

The text is blurred on moving objects and it looks like the recording stutters a little.

Here it looks like alot of detail has gone missing, and is a little corny

4. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Yeah, I wouldn't say either video is overly impressive, but IMO the 2nd is better than the first.

Are you absolutely set on the Sony? Have you thought about another brand LG or Samsung? Maybe even a Nexus?

5. Mikael Jensen

Mikael Jensen Lurker
    None

May 24, 2016
    Male
    Not really :) I'm not gonna pick up a Samsung though, I really dont like AMOLED.

I dont want a phone thats TOO big. After getting bored of my iphone 6s I bought a Sony M4 Aqua, and I kinda like that size.

I want a mid range smartphone, thats not bigger than a M4 Aqua. I really dont want a smartphone thats like a tablet.

LG G5 and Nexus 6 are pretty epxensive. G5 costs 672 Euro and Nexus 6 is just too big.

HTC 10 makes good videos, but it also costs 806 euros which is quite alot for a phone.

Nexus 5X looks to have the right size. But isnt that a bit old by now? And what about the camera?

#5 Mikael Jensen, Jun 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  6. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Yeah, I'm not a fan of Samsung either, so I can understand your apprehension there. I also didn't realise the HTC10 was so expensive!

The 5x is older, but I wouldn't say it's ancient. It's a Nexus, so you're pretty much guaranteed updates till next year so if that's one of your concerns, it should be ok. It does lack removable storage though.

Here's how the camera compares to the iPhone 6s - http://mashable.com/2015/10/19/nexus-5x-vs-iphone-6s-camera/#9IDKvOmnigqf

Another one to look at might be the Motorola X Style? http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_x_style-7229.php

The camera on that is meant to be awesome, but it could be a little big for what you're after.

I know what you mean about Sony too, I've had 2 Sony phones and loved them both. :)

7. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    The Nexus 5X is a little newer than the Xperia Z5.

Can't tell you about the camera, since (a) I don't own one (I need more storage than it provides) and (b) I don't use the video camera at all.

8. Mikael Jensen

Mikael Jensen Lurker
    None

May 24, 2016
    Male
    Ouch, not having external storage is not a good thing for the Nexus 5X.

I might not use all the storage anyway, but I do tend to use alot.

The image quality is also quite good on the Nexus 5X. Motorola Style X is, indeed, too big for my hands :p

I'm actually surprised that it's that hard to find a matching iPhone 6s video camera in a phone. Galaxy S7 performs on par with it, but thats about it as far as I can see. I actually thought the iPhone 6s cam was mediocre. (video cam that is).

Of course I could buy a good Video camera, but would like to have a good option build in my phone like I have with my 6s.

9. Mikael Jensen

Mikael Jensen Lurker
    None

May 24, 2016
    Male
    Anyone has other suggestions for a Android phone with a good video camera?