• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Should I return my Galaxy i7500?

jthreads

Nov 20, 2009
London UK
Guys, it's been nearly 7 days since i got my Galaxy i7500 from O2 UK, I've been happy so far with this device, though coming from an iPhone I still found this device very appealing and potentially good, however my concern is Samsung's lack of info/update regarding further Android updates for this device, I've still got one more week to consider weather return this device and get something else(Android faith:D) assuming an update or some news from Samsung will come up.

Is there anyone out there who might feel the same or consider this return relevant?

Thanks for any advice.
JT

It's up to you, I know people are annoyed at Samsung's lack of announcements regarding updates and that the Galaxy is still on 1.5... but HTC's Hero is also still on 1.5 with 2.0 due early next year.

I'm still hoping Samsung will surprise us and just release 2.0 in January for the Galaxy as well.

Upvote 0
not worth the headache. I'd return it. Samsung release a sub-par phone. I used a G1 and it was smoother than the Galaxy. How does that happen? I think the general public was the beta testers for everything wrong with this phone. They took the lessons learned and released the galaxy lite (or whatever it's called) and the moment. I'm not happy with my phone, but i can't return it because i bought it unlocked from newegg and they only provide a 30 day return policy and my 30 days are up.

Return it while you still can.

Upvote 0
Depends on the amount of effort you're willing to put in to get it "set up" right.

I was close to getting rid of mine, but then based on guides on this forum i upgraded the firmware to ii5, put on galaxhero rom, and fixed the 3d library. Takes about a day or two of reading and doing, but well worth it and it now runs lightning quick, looks great, and the 3d works. My only issue now is the lock button on the side, but the Lock 2.0 app has gone some of the way to resolving that for me.

The question is what would you change to??

Upvote 0
Depends on the amount of effort you're willing to put in to get it "set up" right.

I was close to getting rid of mine, but then based on guides on this forum i upgraded the firmware to ii5, put on galaxhero rom, and fixed the 3d library. Takes about a day or two of reading and doing, but well worth it and it now runs lightning quick, looks great, and the 3d works. My only issue now is the lock button on the side, but the Lock 2.0 app has gone some of the way to resolving that for me.

The question is what would you change to??

You are absolutely right, I can't think of any phone at "today" that could get closer to the i7500, I was thinking to the HTC Magic/Hero, neither can satisfy my taste(except some OS update), I still believe this phone is a great device and potentially a good alternative to other Androids in UK, I will keep it and eventually I'll go through the ROM customisation process and make it more "mine":D

Thanks all for your feedbacks/suggestions, I really appreciated.
Peace
JT

Upvote 0
For me the Galaxy is still the most complete Android phone hardware-wise. Best screen (and glass, not plastic), best camera (though potential not unleashed due to Android software), biggest battery, lots of internal storage and I like (this one is personal) the design more than the HTCs. Only fault: it could have more RAM.

I'm happy with it, my only concern is if we will be getting 2.0 or not, if we finally don't, only then I will consider buying an HTC device.

Upvote 0
I agree it's a good phone, but it has some faults and the lack on ongoing support from Samsung would put me off buying it if I was looking now.

If we could be confident that 1.6 was about to make an appearance, and 2.0 is being developed then I'd say buy it. But we can't, so I'd hold off for now.

Upvote 0
I agree it's a good phone, but it has some faults and the lack on ongoing support from Samsung would put me off buying it if I was looking now.

If we could be confident that 1.6 was about to make an appearance, and 2.0 is being developed then I'd say buy it. But we can't, so I'd hold off for now.
i think its pointless for any phone manufacturer to consider 1.6 really when 2.0 is available for all manufacturers to push after xmas
this is why htc is not updating the hero to 1.6 which is their main device

im happy with my phone but then also i can change next august as im only on a 1 year tarrif and paid for part of the phone upfront

with galax0 and 3d fixed im a happy man

Upvote 0
Guys, it's been nearly 7 days since i got my Galaxy i7500 from O2 UK, I've been happy so far with this device, though coming from an iPhone I still found this device very appealing and potentially good, however my concern is Samsung's lack of info/update regarding further Android updates for this device, I've still got one more week to consider weather return this device and get something else(Android faith:D) assuming an update or some news from Samsung will come up.

Is there anyone out there who might feel the same or consider this return relevant?

Thanks for any advice.
JT

I've just returned mine today, and going to get a 16GB 3GS instead.

When you consider, the faster, more refined iPhone, decent battery life, manufacturer updates, multi-touch/gestures and far greater application availability - There really is no contest.

Then we come to resale value - They are still fetching as much as

Upvote 0
I've just returned mine today, and going to get a 16GB 3GS instead.

When you consider, the faster, more refined iPhone, decent battery life, manufacturer updates, multi-touch/gestures and far greater application availability - There really is no contest.

Then we come to resale value - They are still fetching as much as

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones