• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Should I root Aria using UnrEVOked 3?

If you want to root the best way is to download the Live CD. It's easy, painless and pretty much impossible to brick your phone.

Ubuntu LiveCD with ADB and Unrevoked Recovery installer(Guide). - xda-developers

so what is the point of doing this if i don't want to put any non-fully functioning ROMs on my aria? (seems like there area ll sorts of issues still open with all the "popular" ones)

The 2 only things i really want to do are to remove protected at&t apps and install any other 3rd party app i want.

Upvote 0
so what is the point of doing this if i don't want to put any non-fully functioning ROMs on my aria? (seems like there area ll sorts of issues still open with all the "popular" ones)

The 2 only things i really want to do are to remove protected at&t apps and install any other 3rd party app i want.

You pretty much answered your own question. The point of rooting is to have control over your phone. Be it to delete apps locked to your phone or to load different ROMs.

Obviously experimenting with ROMs isn't for everyone. Though the CM6 ROMs are indeed fully functional outside of the FM Radio.

All Unrevoked does is give you control over your phone, it doesn't load up any ROMs or anything. Honestly if you're perfectly content with your phone the way it is then simply let it be. There are workarounds for loading 3rd party apps without root. Each person needs to decide if rooting is for them. If you do decide to root then cool, if not then cool.

Also if anyone needs help with any root methods or with the Liberated or CM6 ROMs feel free to drop into the IRC channel and ask questions.

freenode Web IRC (qwebirc)

Upvote 0
so the only way to get rid of those att apps is to root it?
how do i uninstall them after i root?
will they reinstall when att finally releases 2.2? or will rooting it cause their 2.2 update not to work? yes, i'm a total noob when it comes to phones. i have put CFW on my psp before and mess around with pc's a lot, but never phones.

will everything else still work the same?

then i will be able to install 3rd party apps too?.... (trying to kill 2 birds with one stone here instead of just using that sideloading program to get my 3rd party apps, but not being able to delete protected apps)

Upvote 0
so the only way to get rid of those att apps is to do root it?

will everything else still work the same?

then i will be able to install 3rd party apps too?.... (trying to kill 2 birds with one stone here instead of just using that sideloading program to get my 3rd party apps, but not being able to delete protected apps)

Yeah, the only way to get rid of those apps is to root.

To load 3rd party apps you'll need to be rooted then you'll need to change a setting using adb.

Start android, enable usb debugging. Stay in Android.

adb remount
adb pull /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db settings.db
echo update secure set value = 1 where name = 'install_non_market_apps';|sqlite3 settings.db
adb push settings.db /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db
adb reboot

I got those instructions from attn1:
xda-developers - View Single Post - I'm rooted but

Again, the easiest/best way to do all this is to download the Ubuntu LiveCD as all the tools you'll need will be in it.

Ubuntu LiveCD with ADB and Unrevoked Recovery installer(Guide). - xda-developers

Upvote 0
yeah, i downloaded that earlier today (remotely from work desktop...to my laptop at home).

will burn it once i get home to pop in a cd.

i have no idea what those above instructions mean, hopefully i can figure it out.

one other question: can i install apps to my sd card, or does that only work in a custom 2.2 ROM?

Upvote 0
yeah, i downloaded that earlier today (remotely on my laptop...still at work).

will burn it once i get home to pop in a cd.

i have no idea what those above instructions mean, hopefully i can figure it out.

one other question: can i install apps to my sd card, or does that only work in a custom 2.2 ROM?

The best way to do it is(if you have some kind of webmail like gmail or hotmail or something) e-mail yourself the links to the instructions above and also to the IRC channel. Once you're booted into the LiveCD open your e-mail then open the links back up. If you have questions during the process someone in the IRC channel will be able to help you out.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, the only way you can get rid of the AT&T apps is by "rooting" your phone and installing a custom "ROM".

These custom ROM's are available here: ROM: Liberated_Aria (beta) - xda-developers

If you read the description, you will see that there are some ROMs that are untouched except for the fact that they removed the AT&T Bloatware.

So, your next question should be, where do I go from here?

NOOBZ: The EASY guide to rooting your Aria and Installing Attn1's ROM (Win XP/Vista) - xda-developers

Since you have already completed step #7 in the guide, start off where it says:
**now that your Aria is rooted you can install Attn1's ATT bloatware free Rom.

1. go to Menu > Settings > Connect to PC > Default Connection Type > and select Disk Drive

2. go to http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=708434 and decide which beta version you want to use. I chose B003 since it's the one folks have the least issues with and the cleanest one that hasn't changed too much about the stock rom. download and save the file to your SD Card. i chose the Download folder to make it easy to find.

3. now turn off your phone. hold down the Volume Down button and press the Power button. you should see the standard Fastboot menu with the lil droid guys on skateboards on the bottom. press the volume down button until "recovery" is highlighted. hit the Power button to select it. you'll see the HTC logo as if it's booting and the clockwork mod screen (black background with green text) that you were left at with the Unrevoked tool.

4. using the volume down button select Nandroid > Backup. i'm not quite sure but i think this backups all your settings of the current stock Rom. *advanced users correct me if i'm wrong*. all i know is you NEED to do this. it was stressed in most forums.
give it a couple minutes and the process should finish.

5. now select Install Zip from SD Card. Use the volume buttons and Power button (select) and navigate to Attn1's Rom zip file. select it. don't let the warning scare you too much. his Rom is LEGIT and 110% working
smile.gif
select yes and watch the quick install process.
few minutes later you should be up and running just fine.

6. if it reboots and you hear some pleasant chimes/dings and no ATT 3G boot up or loud WOOSH animation..you've installed his Rom just fine and all your previous settings as if nothing's changed
smile.gif
yes the HTC Quietly Brilliant will be on your screen for a little while since there is no secondary boot animation. don't worry.

credits go to attn1 and quickness to get this clean rom up
smile.gif

And you'll be good to go. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones